Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 1974 L9000 shifting help needed

Locomotive ยท 2016-10-02 23:46

Members I own a 1974 Ford L9000, Red, daycab, 10 wheeler, 10"x20" tires wheels. Its got a multi-speed rear end/dif, and I, (being a rookie big truck driver), could not figure out that rear end. Its got a gear shift lever to shift that rear end, that goes forward and back and it feels like it has four {4** positions, I guessed that one of the middle positions is neutral? The problem is no one I spoke to knows how this stick shifted rear end gear shift works. Can someone tell me about this? The truck is so neat, its got a Detroit Diesel 6-71 that fired right up after sitting for 10 years!!! I'm so happy to have this truck. Its setup as a winch truck and has a huge Tulsa Winch mounted on the frame right behind the cab. It has: 4 high low/high gears, 5 speed standard transmission and reverse. Multi speed (2 or 3) rear dif. Any suggestions on how to shift/drive this beast and how to get it out of all 10 - 8" deep holes that each tire is in, would be appreciated. its stuck! I tried to get it moving, and managed to spin the rearrest axle, but not the forward axle, so I need some help. Both the High/Low trans and the Standard Transmission got jammed/stuck in gear, and I could not get the either to go back into neutral, so I shut the motor down. with the truck off still it would not come out of either gears. This happened twice and I gave up. I think I was trying the "rear end" shift lever in the rearward most position at the time. I did finally get the thing into both neutrals but I'm not sure how. Is the terminology on the axles "locked out" or "locked in" for both axles driving, and when do I want to select either? The Vin door tag looks like this: Vin:..........................................FORD U912VU47184 WB.....Color.....Type/GVW.......BODY.....TRANS.....AXLE 186.......J............U914...........AE8.........51.........8JY Max GVW............................................... 44,800.......................................... 57 ...................................................DSO What can you tell me about this Ford? Photos coming soon... as soon as I can get them off of my phone! Thanks! Locomotive

Replies3
  1. #1Old Doug2016-10-03 20:11

    If its been seting that long maybe the brakes are stuck. You may have to jack up a rear wheel to get the trans unjamed.

  2. #2Junkyard2016-10-03 20:53

    Based on your explanation you have a 5+4 transmission with standard single speed rears ends. To my knowledge there's never been a two speed rear shifted with a stick. Electric or air is all there is. Does the truck have a tandem drive axle? Your explanation sounds like it does. If so there should be an air switch for the power divider. DO NOT shift that while any wheel is spinning. Try that first, look for a small driveshaft between the rear ends to see if you have a twin screw truck or one with a tag axle that's not a driving axle. As far as driving a 5+4 there are several different ways to do so. The H pattern of your 4 speed(aux trans) shifter, assuming a spicer probably a 1241 in that age truck is low low in the forward left position, low in the rear left position, direct in the right rear position and overdrive in the forward right position. Also, being a winch truck it may have a power tower on the aux trans to run the winch which will give you a third lever than determines which direction your winch runs. Snap some pics if you can. Hope all the helps. I can give driving lessons for beer haha Junkyard

  3. #3Junkyard2016-10-03 21:09

    Also, the aux linkages like to get REALLY stiff when they sit for a long time. Spray everything down with a good penetrating oil. Should be a couple rods that slide in and out of the top cover of the trans, a few clevis pins and joints on each end of the two rods from the shifter to the top cover and then shift lever pivots themselves. At least we know an injector didn't hang the Ole Detroit wide open on you! They're notorious for that after sitting idle for years. Consider yourself lucky! Junkyard