Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 3000 Series Backhoe?

jaluhn ยท 2012-06-25 15:16

Looking for some thoughts from you guys on a possible new project. I saw an ad the other day for a "Ford 3000 series backhoe" that needed some engine work, but he was asking something like $1200. Talking to the guy he says it a 3 cylinder ford 3000 series but didn't know what model exactly. He said it looked like it was built as a TLB or at least industrial tractor, not just a farm tractor with a bucket stuck on. From my research I'm guessing it's a 3550, but I haven't verified that yet. He said it's got a rusted motor due to water. Supposedly it was own by a military guy and the cover came off while he was deployed leading to water getting in and rust. I wasn't clear if it's already been pulled apart or not, but I'm assuming it'd need a rebuild motor. He also said the loader and hoe looked good, no cracks or welds and he seemed to expect it was in good condition other than the engine. Questions: First of all, how much of a pain is it to rebuilt one of these motors? What's a rebuild kit cost? Any special tools or issues I'm likely to run into? I've rebuilt pickup diesels (6.9/7.3 ford/IH motors) and gas engines, but never gotten into an industrial type like this. It seems like it'd be a pretty easy motor to work on but I know better than to assume that.... What kind of reputation do these have? I know the industrial TLB type wasn't as stout or powerful as the frame up TLBs, but as far as the older tractors go how does the 3000's rate? Any known issues? Things you would be concerned about? I wouldn't obviously be able to check the hydraulics or trans, and the current owner hasn't either, just taking the seller's word for it. On the other hand, I've no reason to think it was shot... What would you expect this tractor to be worth in running condition? Thanks, ~John

Replies1
  1. #1jaluhn2012-06-25 23:54

    Okay, so I went up and looked at the unit this afternoon and got some more info. Numbers off the transmission: 6K18-B 35014E C168760 7B25 Engine: N246510 Loader: T9-541 Serial# 510 Hoe: model 723 T9-500 Serial 1737 Overall it looks in decent shape. Some rust pitting on the loader and stabilizer rams but not too awful. Head's off the motor and it for sure had water sitting in all 3 bores and would need boring. It looks like all the parts are still there. Hoe and loader look good, only one place that looks to be welded. Hard to tell for sure with it not running, but the pins didn't look badly worn. 4175 hours on the meter, though there's no way to tell if that's right. Story is the PO had it and used it building his house, then one day it wouldn't turn over trying to start even after checking the starter so he pulled the head, but then got deployed to the gulf (so I'm guessing 2002-3 timeframe) and while he was gone the cover came off and it got rained on, so he sold it to the current owner who intented to fix it but hasn't got the time. What I get out of the number is a 1966 3550, everyone agree? Off tractordata is that this should be a 183 CID engine, but I can't find any other info. It's for usre a ~4.2" bore 3 cylinder direct injection diesel. It's got a slecto-shift trans, something like that? There's a shift quadrent in the center below the steering wheel and no clutch. What I can find on this looks like an early powershift type unit, anyone have other info? Are these prone to problems? I can this thing for probably 800-1000, but then I have to deal with hauling and storing. I've got a trailer that should take it and the owner is about 20 miles from my house. He's seriously thinking about scrapping it if it doesn't get sold real soon, and I hate to see it go there. One the other hand, I don't really have the time or place for a project like this, so it would probably go sit at my parent's place for a while. My concerns: 1) What's involved in pulling the engine? I think I'd be able to pull the front axle and engine away from the trans and the pull the engine off the front frame, am i missing anything? How far forward would I need to get it to clear the bellhousing? Can it be pulled without being able to turn it over or am i going to need to free it up before I can get it out? What does the engine weight, and finally what's involved in rebuilding? It looks to me like this is an odd motor, I find the 172 & 201 seem much more common. Will I have issues getting parts? Could a later model motor be dropped in? 2) Potential trans issues. 3) Hydraulics and other issues, but I'm pretty comfortable the hydraulics and running gear is in decent shape aside from some ram pitting and rotten hydraulic hoses. Can anyone get more info on the hoe & loader? From what I've been able to find, the 723 is a pretty good hoe, right? I'm guessing it's the 12' model. Loader looks pretty stout too. Overall it doesn't look like it's been abused, just needs a motor and TLC. I really hate to see it go to scrap, but the engine work would make it a significant project. I'd be looking at it as an around the ranch type unit, nothing too strenious or commercial use. I like the older hoes since they're a bit lighter than the modern style TLB. I've got a 12k flatbed trailer and I'm comfortable putting 7-8k on it since it wouldn't be frequent or probably for too long of distance. Baring anything else is there a market for the loader & hoe? Thanks, ~John