Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 Backhoe

Tambo ยท 2015-09-14 18:55

I have a 1970 model D5011F backhoe ,although it has D50116 stamped onto bellhousing . My issue is that it's lost all drive ,it has the torque converter 4 speed transmission . The shuttle shift has been a bit slow on the uptake for some time then over a few hours of work deteriorated to nothing. Hopefully someone can help me out here .

Replies19
  1. #1workshoprat922015-09-14 21:26

    I have a 1973 ford 4500. I bought it cheap because it would not go into fwd or reverse. When I split the tractor to check and see whats wrong I found that the flex plate had torn out and was not driving the torque converter. The new flew plate was noticably thicker and i figure it was a common problem with this tractor. It sounds like yours may be a bit different if it progressively got weaker. I think first place I would start is look at the filters and see if it is plugged and if there is any metal particle in it. Also oil level. Could be bad torque converter or a bad oil supply pump. I am not sure how your shuttle works but will look in my maintenance manual to see when I get a chance. It is possible if it is a disc type it could be worn and slipping. Bad thing about this tractor is that it is basically a 4500 AG tractor with backhoe kit. tractors of that vintage had to be split in the middle to get into the trans and torque converter.

  2. #2Tambo2015-09-23 16:25

    Thanks for your help workshoprat92, I split the machine now. Found the filter screen fairly well clogged so I'm thinking that maybe the main issue, then there's a bit of wear in main Bush in the pump but this wouldn't have the cause of the relatively quick deterioration of drive. Anyway I've ordered new clutch plates which were very worn and all New gaskets, seals etc. It's ridiculous that the filter screen is totally inaccessible till you have the machine stripped down to be able to clean it ! Just waiting for the parts to arrive now.

  3. #3workshoprat922015-09-23 18:37

    Hey that's great sounds like your on top of it. Do your shuttle clutch packs engage hydraulically or mechanically? Sounds like you found enough wrong to replace some parts. I know they are a pain to split but at least parts arent to bad for these old machines.

  4. #4JAKES.2016-01-18 07:46

    I bought a non- moving 4500 with a shuttle shift ; split the machine and found flex plate torn up replaced it with a new and thicker plate ( as Workshoprat92 mentioned) and now it moves Like it should! Found a lot of parts on E- bay

  5. #5workshoprat922016-01-18 10:31

    Good deal! its amazing how many of these old machines are still out there.

  6. #6JAKES.2016-01-19 06:07

    I am glad Thad I saved mine from the scrap heap! They don't make them like they used to.

  7. #7savethecars2016-02-16 21:13

    Hey Guys, I too saved a 73 Ford Backhoe diesel 4500 from the scrap yard. It's been sitting for 10+ years. Flushed all the fluids changed all the hydrauldic hoses and was working. Recently notice shuttle shift tranny a little sluggish so Im changing/flushing tranny again. Any tricks on how to get to tranny pick up screen to clean.

  8. #8savethecars2016-02-16 21:32

    Mike Palm City, FL

  9. #9JAKES.2016-02-19 02:09

    Hi Mike, i had a problem in which the shuttle linkage was stiff ( I assume from sitting unused for a while) I opened the small cover on the bottom of bell housing(2"x4") and up in there I could see that the forward/reverse lever was not engaging with the mechanism inside. a cotter pin on the end of the lever was deformed ;replaced it and lever /mechanism engaged properly after that. Inside the cover I mentioned there is also a vacuum line too.

  10. #10savethecars2016-02-24 23:41

    I recently took the cover plate off to check for loose debris, dirt etc. Everything looked ok but now that you mentioned it, my shuttle shifter is a little sloppy so maybe it is loose and needs adjustment. The other day I started it, and when it's cold it wouldn't move. So I flushed the tranny fluid again and installed new hydraulic oil. After a few minutes of warming up, which doesn't take long down her in Fl, I played with the shifter back and forth and it moved again. Moved a few piles of dirt and it was fine. Today it did the same and started acting up again. Let me ask you or someone else this. I do have a small hydraulic leak on the front hydraulic pump mounted near the radiator. This also runs the power steering pump. Would a hydraulic pressure loss cause the problem with shifting. The hydraulic shop gave me universal hydraulic oil for the transmission. They told me to use this universal hydraulic oil. I wonder if maybe its the oil. thx Jakes

  11. #11mitch5042016-02-25 03:05

    The loader and backhoe hydraulic system is not connected to the transmission at all. The transmission has it's own pump that draws from the oil in the transmission case. The power steering system also has it's own pump on the left front of the engine. It's only connection to the main hydraulics is that on the older models it draws oil from the main tank through a separate line, with it's own in-tank strainer. The newer models have a separate power steering reservoir. I'd look at the shifter linkage real good, oh, and 4500s have a mechanism to keep you from putting the shuttle shift in gear except at low idle. That small line under the bottom cover isn't a vacuum line, (diesels don't produce vacuum), it's a test port for transmission pressure. Check clutch pressure here if it still refuses to move. Universal oil is good enough for these tough old girls. BTW, just for general interest, the clutches and etc. in the front of this tranny are the same as in a C6 auto in a ford pickup. Good luck, Mitch

  12. #12JAKES.2016-02-26 13:31

    The vane pump under the radiator runs your backhoe and bucket. Sorry about the mislead "vacuum line" thanx for your knowledge Mitch!

  13. #13savethecars2016-03-16 06:01

    Updated Transmission Problem ok guys, I found the leak for the power steering. The front seal is leaking pretty good right out of the piston mounted in front of the radiator. I read up how to replace it. My question is, since the tractor is 73 & the pump looks original where is the best place to find a new pump. Any suggestions? 2nd comment & question> Over last few days, I've been clearing my lot of trees & ripping out stumps w/ the backhoe. The shuttle shift transmission is still acting up. When I start the tractor I have to let it warm up for about 10 min or so before it will even attempt to move. In Florida it doesn't take long, (temps have been in 70-80s) Sometimes it will move right away just by shifting it into gear at an idle, but other times I have to rev the motor up to 12-1400 rpm's to get it to move. It appears to be gradual like theres not enough pressure or the clutch disk are slipping. What's weird is, after running it for a few minutes, I can put it in 1st gear and push up a pile of dirt with the rear tire spinning and it wont slip or act sluggish in any way. It's very strange to me. So I've flushed tranny 3 times in the last week, added to hydraulic oil and it's still doing as described above. Looks like Im going to have to split the tractor to find out whats going on in there. My brother has worked on a lot of these over the years, he will be coming down here to help me w/the rebuild. Do some of these symptoms sound like the transmission screen filter is just clogged w/crap from sitting for years before I bought it last year. Keep in mind, when I got the tractor all the fluids (except motor) including the transmission was filled with milky white hydraulic fluid. I appreciate any help or suggestions!

  14. #14savethecars2016-03-16 06:05

    View attachment 151865 How much pressure is this line suppose to have and how do I test it ?

  15. #15mitch5042016-03-16 22:38

    Huh? Which pump? are you calling the hydraulic cylinder and control valve assembly for the power steering that is in front of the radiator a pump? or do you mean the main hydraulic pump? or the power steering pump mounted on the engine? If you mean one of the pumps, why, what's wrong with it? If you mean the leaking steering cylinder, you can probably just reseal it.

  16. #16savethecars2016-03-17 06:59

    yes I meant leaking steering cylinder. leaking where piston shaft comes out of the sleeve

  17. #17savethecars2016-04-07 07:01

    Ok Guy, steering was least of my problems. Shuttle shift got progressively worse and tractor wouldn't move anymore. Luckily, my brother Joe has worked on these tractors for years. He flew flew down and tore it apart. We found the trans had no pressure and when we spilt it we found the torque convertor end (grooves where it slides into hydraulic pump) was worn & slipping. We are now looking for parts. New torque convertor,hydraulic trans pressure pump. Any suggestions on parts suppliers or any upgraded torq convertors.

  18. #18savethecars2016-04-11 06:46

    Update: Tore tractor apart and found screen pickup filter plugged w/years of crud. Internal planet gears for high pressure pump were ruined. Waiting for new parts to come in

  19. #19savethecars2016-04-14 07:32

    Update: We finished tractor yesterday. New Torque convertor, hydraulic pressure pump, all new seals. She is back in service. Shuttle shift transmission works great. My thanks to everyone for their help and guidance thru this rebuild. Oh yeah, I didnt mess around w/cheap parts, we went right to New Holland/Ford dealer. A little pricey for everything but well worth it.