Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 Backhoe Info Wanted

sbybee ยท 2012-09-01 14:34

Hello-first timer here. Have a chance to buy a Ford 4500 backhoe and am looking for some info/opinions. Have pictures but can't post yet. It could be a long story but I won't go there yet. It is in pretty good condition, but tires are sun rotted, not stored inside. It runs good. The issue I have is, it is an automatic/torque converter/shuttle transmission (don't know terminology yet) and the owner said that the last time he used it there was a hesitation going from reverse to forward, which could be low fluid or old fluid I guess. The gentleman I'm dealing with has early diagnosed Alzheimer's and is having some memory issues and has lost the manuals/paperwork. My concern is if this hesitation is an indication of a problem as I understand trans/clutch repair can be quite expensive. Any thoughts/advice? Tractor # G297466 Model # D50117 Unit # ID12B Engine # IA22B Trans # 0B22B Rearaxle#0L26B Thanx, Steve

Replies7
  1. #1sbybee2012-09-03 17:01

    Pictures Here she is!

  2. #2FRISKY2012-09-04 07:31

    Looks good!

  3. #3shopteacher 12012-09-10 00:47

    Looks to be in good condition! When these units are cold, the shuttle will not shift into forward if the engine is turning too many rpm's. It will go into reverse. Lower the rpm's and see if she will go into gear. I have a 73 4500 that I bought to clear some land with the idea of selling it when finished. It is so handy to have around I decided to keep it. These are very strong old machines. If the price is right, from what I can see I would purchase it with the idea that I may have to rebuild a transmission. Mine is no where near as good of shape as that one, and I would rebuild the trans on mine if it needed.

  4. #44500GUY2012-09-24 09:44

    Hey Sbybee, Have you bought this machine yet?

  5. #5sbybee2012-09-24 10:06

    4500GUY Yes I did. Haven't brought it home yet, or paid for it yet, but we agreed on 4000. As soon as I sell a 8n and he finishes his last project it will be here. Sooner the better.

  6. #6The Peej2012-09-24 10:57

    wow I would love to find a deal like that!

  7. #74500GUY2012-09-24 13:34

    That sounds like a great deal. I have one of these machines as well. Just finished a major overhaul on the steering, electrical, paint, etc. Great machines! Good luck with her.