Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 TLB – how much oil?

sbybee ยท 2012-10-22 22:19

Paid for and brought home backhoe Sunday. Had a problem loading it, mostly owner freaking out, but got it home! Seems to have some water in trans, it was parked outside with no tarp, but I change the oils whenever I get a new tractor. Don't have book yet and am curious how much oil it takes. I searched the archives for specs but haven't found it yet. Starts right up, has some leaks but overall am pleased, especially if fresh oil and filter cure the torque converter hesitation. Will need tires soon. Looking forward to using it. Of course it started to rain today so it's undercover now. thanx. sbybee

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042012-10-22 23:56

    That's a sweet looking old 4500. I'll try to remember to look up all the capacities for you when I get to the shop tomorrow. What are the tire sizes on your trailer?

  2. #2sbybee2012-10-23 00:26

    I would appreciate that. The trailer belongs to my neighbor, the tires are 700-10 I think. He had a tire shred a couple of years ago and couldn't find one so got a smaller one and gets by. I could be wrong, but could easily find out. We put my D2 on it about a year ago. thanx, steve

  3. #3randyau60322013-06-09 11:35

    oil capacities these are the spec 4500 w/loader & backhoe, mine is a 73 model 3 cylinder diesel engine 8 qts, rear end w/ ind pto 32.4 qts, hydrolic package w/loader 14 gal the frame holds 6 gal and reservoir 4 1/2 gal, coolant 15.3 qts, fuel tank 16 gal, transmission 6x4 & 8 speed 13.2 qts