Hey everybody, I've been coming on here for a while and reading in the background for a while now getting help on my 4500 but I now need to ask a question about it. We got a good deal on this thing but we are kind of wishing that we would have not even bought it. It has been used hard and just about everything is wore out but if we can get it to where we can use when we need it and not all of the time, it'll work out nice for us. Some previous owner put a standard off, on, run switch on it, basically just to get them going again rather than fixing it right. I've got a 5-wire replacement switch to put back in it and I had a few questions about how it hooks up. I know which wire is the glow plug, and it will go to terminal 3 on the new switch. The hot wire that is feeding the switch now will be the hot for the new one and it will go to 1. The starter solenoid wire should go to the 5th post. Here is where I a little confused. I have two red wires that are put together with a single factory terminal. Looking at my Ford 5000, this wire is there too but it goes to the ACC or on position of the switch when you turn the key on but not start it. The 5000 has a 3 wire switch on it since it didn't come with a glow plug. Where would this connector go on the new switch and what are these wires supposed to be feeding or doing? I can not figure out where they go or do? I'm assuming I would put this on a terminal that is hot on the new switch when the switch is on but not sure? Here is my next question. I have a wire that is on the switch now that I wasn't sure about, it was hot with the key on but couldn't find it. Turns out there was a fuse on top of the fuel tank and the fuse was bad. After testing though, I found out that this wire did the dash lights. Should this wire go to lug 4 or 2 on the 5 wire switch. Also, on this tractor, were the dash/indicator lights on all of the time when the tractor was running? The way it seems to be wired, if hooked up, the lights will be on all of the time? On our 5000, they are wire to come on when we pull out the light switch. Last wire I have is green one with a red stripe I believe, but it goes out to the front of the motor and is out around the generator. Does this get hooked to a switch or was it ran for a wire to be used when you needed it wire? The tach is broke on the cluster but if we can get the oil, temp, fuel and charging lights and gauges to work, we will not worry about the tach. For some reason, the tank wire to the the cluster is gone and I am not sure where the water temp wire is but hopefully these will not be too hard to come by. Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post, Charlie
two redwires probably go terimal 1 with other red wire 1 for alt 1 for lite switch i could email a wiring diagram for a 550 its not all the same,,,, but would help u to see what does what pm me with email address or post here
The two wires though are put together as one at the connector and they were both red looking. Be easier to take the sheet metal off cover the tank to really see everything but I know it connected at the switch new. Still don't know what they do, but they either are hot all of the time if they go to 1 or they hot with the key on. I have found the wire that runs the lights at the cluster, the main hot wire, and starter wire on the ignition switch that is there now. There were 3-4 wires left hanging back there, one is the pre-heater, one was the extra wire going to the front of the block that doesn't connect to anything, and the two wires that are connected as at the terminal. There is another hang down that was connected to something at one time but it is not hot and doesn't have the factory connector on it so I'm not sure about it at the moment. My email is [email protected]
wire going to front of engine goes to temp sending unit sent wiring diagrams,,,, they pretty clear when enlarged
Thanks jimg for the wiring diagrams. On the 4500, just like the 5000 I believe, there is 5 wires going to the front of the motor around the valve cover. One goes to the temp sending unit, one goes to the oil sending unit, 2 go to the generator and the last wire is a spare with a connector that allows something to be plugged in to it. The other end of the wire is hanging around the ignition switch. On the 5000, I think this wire was used for the lights that were on the front of the tractor. The 4500 had no lights in the grille so it could have not been hooked to anything at the switch?