Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 TLB Rear wheel seal is leaking

onebadsob3 ยท 2013-02-03 11:48

It seems like if we look like we are making progress and getting close to fixing the things wrong with this thing, we have another issue that decides it wants some tlc So out of nowhere the other day, the left rear wheel seal began to leak. I'm just wondering what needs to be done to fix this and is there an easy way of going about it to tackle the project. I know you have to take the whole housing off the rear but that is about it. I can say that with all of our tractors and with their age, we have never had a seal leaking. It seems like you'll have to pull the cab off to begin with, but didn't know what you do about the bottom part of the frame since it is there in the way. Plus the backhoe is on it so that another issue to deal with. I'm sure there is an easy way to just be able to take the housing off but wanted your take on it. Also, is there any set of instructions on removing the housing and then getting the axle out to replace the seals and bearings if needed? Thanks, Charlie

Replies2
  1. #1jimg9842013-02-03 14:20

    If its the rear wheel seal as you stated,, remove tire and wheel, remove axle and replace seal

  2. #2mitch5042013-02-04 00:34

    Before you take it apart, check the oil level in the rear end. I know it sounds crazy, but I've seen 2 of these old Fords w/ a rear wheel seal leak from being overfull, and they quit when the level was lowered.