How under rated are the rear axles? 2 months ago I bought a New '08 550 4X4 C&C with the 17950# GVWR package with the 4.88 gears, had a Crysteel 5-yrd dump put on it & had Timbren overloads put on that are rated at 12,000lbs. With that said the axle is only going to hold just so much. The Truck at present weighs 10,640lb empty body with me in it, Now to the ?? can I haul 5-yrds of gravel= 15K safely?? Thank you, David
What is the Rear GAWR?
13,660lb David
I think ~4 yards would be my limit.:beatsme
Thats what I've been hauling so far, but was hoping someone with experience with the 550 would chime in and say "oh yes, those 550's will carry all that you can put in them" Thanks David
You won't get anyone here to tell you to run above GVWR wether they do or not.
You can haul 7,310 pounds legally. You want to haul 15,000?? If you get caught, you are going to Rikers Island, dude, and you will need to take a second mortgage to pay the fine. Don't even think about it, seriously. If you cause an accident, DOT will climb up your wazoo and you will NEVER work again.
I have the truck registered for 26K. On the door plate it states the front AWR is 7K and the rear is 13660K, wouldn't that bring the total to 20,660K ? David
For some reason axle ratings never add up to GVW in pickups. That is a good thing or a bad thing it just depends on how you look at it.