Hello all, I bought a 1978 Ford 550 TLB at auction and don't know its history. I recently split the tractor to get to the clutch packs. The hoe would drive in reverse, but not forward. I found a bunch of metal in the transmission screen and some of the FRONT discs were blue and had some galling. No big deal, I can replace all the bronze and steels. Here is the issue, I can't separate the drum from the shaft to get to the rear discs. Is there a secret code or hidden snap ring that has to be found to separate the assembly? Any help would be most appreciated.
Pretty sure you have to collapse the spring to get to the snap ring. Do your best to make sure that torque converter & radiator is clean or you’ll be splitting it again real soon. I usually swap them out for a manual gearbox when the power reversing transmission dies. New torque converters are expensive and almost impossible to find. A manual machine isn’t the greatest if you’re moving a whole lotta dirt but it’s a bulletproof set up on a 2wd backhoe.
Thanks for the response, Andy. I made a tool to go over the shaft to compress the spring and removed the spiral snap ring with a seal pick. The front discs and piston came right out so everything in front of the clutch housing is out. The housing seems to be welded to the shaft, but my manual shows it all disassembled, apparently easily because it doesn't say how. I have made another tool that slips over the small bronze seal hubs to put pressure on the shaft using a 3 draw puller on the clutch housing. Once again it hasn't budged. Right now I have the shaft and housing hub soaked with PB blaster and it's under tension from the 3 jaw puller. I suppose I will try using heat if it doesn't release a bit overnight.
For what it's worth, I got the housing off the shaft. A large 3 jaw puller and determination was all it needed. I was hesitant to force the removal until I discovered that the rearmost plate had been turned around, obviously on a previous overhaul effort. As the housing came loose, flattened roller bearings and chewed up bushings fell out. I'm considering Andy's recommendation of deleting the power reversing system in favor of a standard clutch and manual gears. Where would I find those, I'm wondering, and what is involved?