Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 550 question

jds88 ยท 2010-06-02 02:19

I have recently purchased my first backhoe, a Ford 550, and was looking for a bit of advice... 1. I have broken the swing chain on my 550 ford and need to know how to manually pull the piston out to re-connect the chain. 2. Where would I check for the serial number plate? ...I have looked it over and can't seem to find it, don't know if it has been removed or I seem to have gone blind. Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Mikefromcny2010-06-03 01:39

    Cant answer your first question, On my 555 the plate is on the left side of the dash.

  2. #2tom25362010-06-09 20:54

    You can get a shop manual on a disc on EBay pretty cheap that's what I did but the shop manual aren't really all that good with helping a novice, they leave a lot out I found out when I replaced my king pin. Tom

  3. #3Mikefromcny2010-06-10 01:29

    tom, which king pin?

  4. #4oldseabee2010-06-10 09:08

    If that cylinder is a single action type, the opposite end from the hydraulic end should have an air breather or a crossover air line to the other cylinder, open up the port and blow shop air into the cylinder, should be enough pressure to push the rod out, watch out for your fingers, when moves it will shoot all the way out.