I recently purchased a Ford 5500 backhoe. It is an early 70s model, but it is good shape except for the swing pins. There is quite a bit of slop in the swing. How difficult is it to repair this? Do I have to take the boom off or can I just remove the swing cylinders and the connecting plate?
Sorry cant answer your question. Always nice to see another Ford hoe on the forum though, Needs pictures of your machine
Hey, marshjhm. Anyway you could post some pics of the machine and the swing tower ?? does the 5500 use the chain with the cylinders ?? i use to have a 4500 TLB about 20 years ago and she had the chain and cylinders and it was kind of a pain to work on.
I've got a '73 5550. I replaced the bushings in the swing link about 20 years ago. I think your 5500 is the same setup; kidney bean shaped link between the cylinder and the boom. Remove the snap rings that retain the pins, knock out the pins and get a decent size hydraulic press to push out the bushing. I used a 12 ton and that was marginal. No need to mess around with the cylinders. Curious what it cost you? If you don't mind. What part of WA? I'm thinking of bugging out of Cali and heading to just north of the Columbia River.
Sorry about the slow reply, I've been on the road for a few days on a remote project. Thanks for the replies. El Hombre, I think I can see the link you're talking about. I have attached a few pictures for clarification. I paid 8K for it, and I am very happy with it. It starts very easily, and it works really well. Its a lot bigger machine than I have used before, and it can make a big hole really fast. The only real issue is the slop in the swing. I from eastern Washington, near Wenatchee. We don't get the rain that the coast gets, so it very nice.
Nice looking machine you have there, marshjhm and the Ford 5500 is a pretty big backhoe.
$8K is about what I thought they sell for. It's strange that a big mother like our machines are less than $10K and yet I see 555 size machines that are priced above $12K. About the same vintage as well. First hoe I ran was a rented 555. I live on a 5 million year old lava flow so there's lots of rocks. I spent 2 hours trying to tear one out and all I got was a lot of sparks and smoke. Never did get it out. 5550 and I had it out in 20 minutes, 20K pounds and some serious hydraulics did it. I started mine for the first time in a year yesterday. Cranked for about 2 seconds and off it went, ran for about a minute and then died. Time to check the fuel filter; sure enough, full of water. New filter and prime and it was running again.
Yes the 5500 was a tank big ol hoe can handle big jobs but a bear in tight spots. there's a few joints on that swing witch one is it? or is it all of them? i'd be just pin/bushing set up get parts and replace
Hmm I thought it went 5500 to 550 to 555, but that 5500 looks substantially bigger then my 555.
Well i am not sure but i think the models went 3500, 4500, 5500 and 7500 then they went to the 3 digit numbers ??? they use to be made in Romeo MI on 32 mile and M-53
I think your right dave, and that wasn't to far from me
Hey, daman. I am only about 30 miles east of the old Romeo tractor plant and i think they are making engines there now a days ??
I'm not sure it's been a wile since i've been by it,they could be.
They've been making the modular V-8, 4.6 litre, for at least 15 years. I remember driving to the Yates Cider Mill in October most years, and the Romeo plant was in the neighborhood. I don't know what pre-dated the 5500, but it went to my 5550, '74 was the 750, then the 755, and I don't know what NH called the big mothers.. My 5550 was 17,000 pounds, then add about 3,000 pounds for the ROPS, dig-more, and the thumb. All that weight planted it pretty good so the hydraulics didn't just slide the hoe around. It needed a bigger hydraulic pump to run the big cylinders, they got that in the 750 with a turbo and about 105 hp. You could do some serious damage with that one, my slower unit was perfect for someone that didn't have thousands of hours on the machine.