Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 5500 injector pump question

Scooby340 ยท 2014-09-26 22:10

Hello All, I took the fuel tank and the filter assembly off to clean and paint them, and replace the fuel line. When I removed these parts, I immediately plugged/capped the metal fuel line going to the injector pump to keep clean and hopefully keep the fuel from evaporating. It has been apart for 4 or 5 months. I reinstalled everything and have fuel through the filter and up to the metal line going to the inj pump. I hesitate to try and start the engine in case there is air in the pump. My parts manual says I have a Simms pump, but the pump on the engine looks way different. Based on some searching I believe my pump is a Cav/Lucas??? I saw a pic of the same pump on BrokenTractor and they list it as a Cav/Lucas.. I am quite sure I have the Cav... Long story short, I don't know where the bleeder is on the pump. I should have taken a pic, but we are getting hammered with rain. Any help would be appreciated. THX...AL

Replies2
  1. #1thepumpguysc2014-09-27 06:42

    If its a CAV,, the bleeder is by the nameplate.. double screw.. 7/16 on bottom and 5/16 on top.. just loosen the 5/16 and crank the engine until you get clear fuel and no bubbles.. tighten.. THEN go up to the injectors in the head and loosen the lines about 1 turn.. crank engine until fuel squirts out and tighten.. Its BEST if this is done with the throttle in the FULL THROTTLE position.. MAKE SURE the shut-off lever is in the FULL RUN position.. or you'll never get fuel to the injectors.. Good luck

  2. #2Scooby3402014-09-27 08:06

    THANK YOU Pump Guy!!!! I did a search before I posted and saw that you might be the man to seek out on this!!! I believe it does have that double screw.. I should have the ole girl makin noise today if the rains hold off.. Not likely say the weather heads.... THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!