I have a Ford 555 (1980) with the 2 stick controls. I recently operated a Kobelco Excavator with pilot controls and it got me thinking...? What would it take to convert my Ford 555 over to some version of pilot controls? Even if all that I did was to break the valve block and mount the sticks next tot he seat like pilots, that would be an advantage in ergonomics. Can the valve body be split and use a power beyond function to connect the flow between the now two valve blocks? I have been studying up on hydraulics and the evolution from manual stick to pilot controls; the differences between open center and closed center, ful flow valve blocks vs flow sharing valve blocks. So there are different setup options to choose from. That said, the simplest option would be the way to go for now. Primarily I am looking for a way to obtain better ergonomics while operating the machine and give it more of an excavator operating experience. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Not to be smart, they make them like that now. The issue is the cost to change your 555 would be in the many thousands of dollars for a machine that did not come from the factory that way. I could do it for a cool fifty thousand, and replace it with a used jcb,4x4,4x1 bucket, extenda hoe, cab with a/c and pilot controls that listed on craigs list. Your looking at two pilot controls, 14 hoses, new control valve with pilot control cylinders to control spool movement, build mounts for the joy sticks and so on. Would more than likely be better to invest in a better seat and pedestal that would allow you to get in a more relaxed position to operate it. Just my thoughts.
Yeah, sheepsfoot is right, It'd cost way more than you payed for the hoe, even using used valves and free labor. One thing he didn't mention is that you need to be able to spin the seat around, so adding swingaway joysticks would add another level of complexity. Also you'd need another pump, I don't think a flow divider to run the pilots would work. Modern excavators have 3,5, or more independent pumps, your 555 has one.
Think it would be possible to modify the shaft of the sticks to have them in a more ergonomic position similar to the pilot controls?
Sure, why not.