i’m in the process of buying this machine when I was checking it out with all four wheels off the ground. I couldn’t get the front wheels to drive. It felt like the linkage was dead. That’s why I went ahead and bought it. The machine works really nice. When I get home, I’m gonna check out the four-wheel-drive linkage and such is there anything to look for in troubleshooting this machine thanks everybody
If it’s like Case - those things kinda have separate oil reservoir for 4x4 coupler and gear. Lots of times people don’t know that they need to check and fill those separate from transmission. And check/fill plug is pain the rear to deal with, with bracketry around it. The detent ball gets rusted, and it stops moving.
Thanks I’ll check all that out before I lay down the dollars I want to put it through the test. It was snowing in 27° when I checked it out the other day not the best conditions in Georgia.
ATF type F tends to free stuff up. Although the correct oil should be gear oil. But ì think ATF won’t hurt anything, if used temporarily.
It’s a little scary buying something that the four-wheel-drive doesn’t work in. I believe I’m gonna amend my offer and check out the linkage and stuff before I lay down that much money.
Definitely, it’s either a 10 dollar fix or a thousand dollar fix and the cost has to reflect that. Be nice to have a really good idea what it might cost, to fix. 4 wheel drive on these old hoes seems to be worth north of 5k, if it’s working.
Well, I talked to the seller. He was not willing to let me figure out what was wrong with the four-wheel-drive before I bought it. He preferred just to put it back up for sale so I had to pass on it. It was probably something cheap, but possibly not the search continues.
For $4000 more that cat 420 D is Looking pretty good about now
In CAT - beware of steering valve splines rotting out. It gets expensive as heck. If you feel big free play In steering with engine off - walk away or tell seller to fix it.
That’s the only thing that scares me about the newer machines to me that’s a newer machine because I’ve only owned older John Deere and older Fords I’m very comfortable with the Fords almost as comfortable with the John Deere’s I appreciate the info. It’s tempting to get the little extra power, but I’m still leaning towards a very clean 555 a that I found that had a bunch of work done to it 16,000 seems awful high. And they are adamant about not coming down.
I have a suspicion that if he doesn’t want you to investigate the linkage - he knows that 4WD is failed inside the box.
16k is very high. My dad bought his 555D locally for under 10k in very nice shape.
Around here, a working 4 wheel drive 555, they bring a premium. We did have a D model go up for 16k not too long ago and had good rubber and looked clean. Didn’t last long.
Yeah, for some reason, they’re high around middle Georgia Seems like the best machines are three or four hours away. I’m willing to drive that far to get something clean. I just can’t bake myself pay 16 grand not for that even though I like those machines.
If you are not in a hurry, a deal will come along. If you are, you will pay a premium. When I purchased my hoe, I looked and looked, then mine came up, and have been tickled pink.
I’m in a hurry kinda but I’m OK with waiting a little while. I’m leaning towards this fully restored 555 a I really like the way those machines operate the most powerful but I seem to get a lot done with the one I owned earlier.
not the most powerful meant to say
I have an update on the 555D The next guy that came and looked at it was familiar with that model. He just pulled up on a lever below the seat and the front end started driving so I went back and test drove it because he didn’t buy it. It’s a very tight machine and operates very nice. so I bought it. Thanks for everybody’s input.
That’s sneaky!
My 4x4 lever is in the same spot and a pain in the ass or back to use. It’s easy to kick down with your boot to disengage but pulling it up requires my wife driving and me on the floor pulling up. Lol It’s not that bad but having sex in a spring seat is kinda fun, except for after. lol You wanted to buy it anyway, good for you and good luck. Besides I’m too old to get it on in the car anymore, backhoe cab has more room. Imagine the thought of backhoing through the woods with the wife on your lap. Whoops!
Remember what I said about separate oil sump. Check if it is the same on that machine. It kinda looks that it is part of the transmission, but it has its own filling add drain plugs. And fill one is pain to get to. I had to buy low profile 8 point ( double square) socket to do that.just don’t remember whether 9/16 or 5/8, not 1/2 - that’s for sure.
The 4x4 engagement lever on a 555D kind of *is* below the seat on the right hand side. Did you not pull it originally? From there, as I recall it's cable operated and the cable connects to linkage at the transfer case or whatever they call it on a tractor, underneath the machine.
Thnx guys, Harley it’s gonna take a while to get that visual out of my brain L O L
No, the owner of the machine had stepped on it at some point and disengaged the four-wheel-drive. It actually is in the center directly below the seat. Honestly, it looks like a differential lock to me so far the backhoes performing really good.
It sounds like you *are* talking about the diff lock. The 4x4 shifter is on the right hand side in a curved slot below the instrument panel... Unless your machine has been modified from stock.
Yeah, I saw that lever but the front differential won’t turn unless that lever is up might be a problem but so far it’s working pretty good Unless the foot lever is up