Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 hoe transmission oil leak

Keith White ยท 2017-12-16 16:38

Hi All, I was hoping someone could give me a suggestion or two. My hoe sprang a leak as evidenced by the trail of fluid all over the ground where I had driven. Luckily it wasn't much more than about a quart before I noticed it. Upon inspection it was coming from the trans oil filter area. I was hoping it was the filter itself, but there is no visible sign that it was the filter so it seems most likely one of the connections to the filter housing. Took me a good long time to get the filter off(my first time, it's fairly new to me and it was on there good). The problem is I can't figure how to get the lines out of the filter housing. From the online diagrams I found, it's supposed to be a threaded nut with an o-ring holding them in. There is a little butterfly shaped metal piece held on by a 1/4-28 flat head bolt, but I can't imagine that holds both lines in. I've taken it out, but now wonder how the lines come out of the filter housing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a couple photos to show the progression from first filter off to having taken the bolt out and cleaned up a bit. Thanks much, Keith

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042017-12-16 23:06

    Yep, that little bolt with it's butterfly clamp holds them both in. Ford Tractor loves junk like that. They are just pushed in there and that clamp holds them in, and you get them out as best you can. If this turns into a recurring problem, fabricate a bracket to support the pipes. They were bad about getting a little loose, and then you had to change o-rings often.

  2. #2Keith White2017-12-17 19:21

    Thanks Mitch. I'll give it a try. Seems like I should remove the filter housing rather than try to pull the lines out since they are hard lines from end to end. I'll see how much they move and then make a decision. Thanks again. Keith

  3. #3Keith White2017-12-26 22:03

    Thanks again Mitch. I finally got the lines disconnected. I couldn't figure out how they would come out of the filter housing without removing the housing. Turns out that was the easy way to do it. One of the two poped right out the other took quite a bit of force, but came out. The O-rings are standard size so an easy replacement. I'll put it back together tomorrow and hope for the best. Keith