Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 not engaging reverse

benobrien · 2024-06-22 17:27

Hi there, My new to me but quite old 1987 Ford 555 is giving some transmission related issues. It’s 2wd, and has the 4 speed transmission with shuttle for F/Reverse. So it’s started being intermittent in engaging or taking up drive in both forwards and reverse, ie you select F or R and there’s a split second delay before it gives a very small bump and engages drive. This has gotten worse in the space of maybe an hours work. Now it won’t engage reverse at all. Seems happy enough to go forward but does still 1 in every 2 times you go to engage forward it has that delay. If you were to rev it before it engages it behaves as if the clutch was slipping and would only make a small effort to go forward. No matter what I do it never goes passed this stage now and engages reverse. I am slow to think that it is friction plates for reverse as it’s almost identical to what it has been doing with going forward and seems more a selection issue to me. Is there anything I can check? Have just ordered an owners manual. I have been trying to find info on the shuttle solenoid, sounds like the reverse end or both could be sticking? If you lift it with front loader and rear stands it will turn rear wheels slowly in reverse but never fully engages. I have changed the transmission fluid today and it’s filled correctly to full mark etc.

Replies8
  1. #1benobrien2024-06-22 17:32

    Sorry, just to add, I also noticed that the dump valve on the side of the transmission is unplugged electrically, it does look like it’s been that way for some time to be fair. I couldn’t find any other wiring near it and suspect it’s been like this a long time. Also to add, when it does engage forward it drives well with no clutch/drive slip. And it was the same in reverse until it stopped engaging.

  2. #2eKretz2024-06-22 19:25

    Check for electrical signal to the shift solenoid up under the dash. Failing that, check the screen on the transmission and make sure it's not covered up with crap. After that check trans pressures. Do you have a service manual?

  3. #3Swetz2024-06-23 11:42

    The earlier models of 555 did not have electronic solenoids. I think it started with the 555d. Ben, is your machine a straight 555, or a 555A, or 555B...etc? I do know that the mechanical units had wear in the linkage problems that would hinder engagement. There was also adjustments that could be made.

  4. #4benobrien2024-06-23 12:10

    Thank you both for the replies. I have downloaded a shop manual and will study that properly. @Swetz you are absolutely correct on the manual shift lever. I had a proper look and yes I can see a linkage under the fuel tank. I am under the impression it’s not engaging the direction properly as it has been acting up engaging forward also and once engaged it drives fine with no slip. I actually got it into reverse earlier just once, and it did drive fine with no load. Again I am inclined to think it’s not slipping internally but maybe that’s just wishful thinking!

  5. #5eKretz2024-06-23 12:36

    Ah, good catch. I know for sure that the C models had solenoids, I helped a guy who was having a problem with his and the shifting system was nearly identical to my D. So the earlier machines had a mechanical dump valve? Interesting.

  6. #6Swetz2024-06-23 12:57

    The earlier Ford units (many models used the same shuttle trans) had mechanical shift. I only recall an electric solenoid for dump on the 555 machines...I could be wrong, that was a long time ago. Usually one on the floor and one in the top of te front loader control. 2 examples below.

  7. #7benobrien2024-06-26 16:44

    Just an update, and a thanks, it does indeed look like a linkage problem, got the tank out and popped off the linkage, manually selected reverse and away it goes. Haven’t the linkage adjusted enough yet but at least we know now it’s not an internal issue. Linkage had already been welded a few times in the not so recent past also! Thanks for the help!

  8. #8Swetz2024-06-27 07:33

    The ball socket joints also get play in them. They can be purchased aftermarket. I have seen the clevis pins wear as well. All the little wear adds up to not enough throw. Sometimes adjusting cannot get both forward and reverse to engage unless you get rid of some of the play. Thank you for the update!