Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 swing cylinder won’t retract

THard · 2025-01-18 13:55

New here! Anyone have an issue with one of the swing cylinders not retracting? It’s sister cylinder next to it pushes and pulls but the other has hydraulic fluid behind it not allowing it to retract so u can swing left. It will push out but not back. Just resealed both cylinders a few weeks ago and has been working fine.

Replies12
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-01-19 08:32

    Maybe the nut holding the piston came off? Those should be tightened up really good, like with a HF torque multiplier, that I can’t find. lol

  2. #2Swetz2025-01-19 09:38

    Or seal was damaged on assembly and later failed.

  3. #3cosmaar12025-01-19 12:05

    Best bet is to pull it apart. The only other thing I can think of is that you put the hoses on backwards but I doubt that is the issue.

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-01-21 02:35

    Backwards hoses is a possibilty if it started right after connecting them. I got the hoses backwards when I mounted a loader on a tractor. Would lift fine but not come down. More force extending on the good cylinder than the bad one retracting.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-01-21 08:40

    I always screw up orientation on hoses and wires. The cell phone camera, is one of the best inventions. As long as I can remember to actually use the damn things. Just took apart the blower switch yesterday and forgot to take a pic, until I had screwed it up good. Had to go get the meter. Hoses, I use dollar store colored zip ties.

  6. #6THard2025-01-21 19:54

    Sorry for the late response, got mad and started taking things apart minutes later. A piece of the old oring/seal/packing from the old piston packing dislodged and got hung up in the little flow regulator thingy. Ran it for 8 hours after no issues. Attaching a photo. Thanks for the help, I’ll have to be a more reliable member now with all the responses.

  7. #7cosmaar12025-01-21 20:17

    That will do it. Easy fix that cost nothing. Those are the best type!

  8. #8aighead2025-01-22 06:49

    Thanks for the post and solution! It may help someone else some day.

  9. #9Vetech632025-01-22 07:53

    Did you reseal the cylinder/s?

  10. #10HarleyHappy2025-01-22 07:57

    I will admit, that one had me scratching my head.

  11. #11Swetz2025-01-22 08:11

    Now the question becomes....is that the new seal packing??

  12. #12HarleyHappy2025-01-23 09:00

    That’s okay, I was doing maintenance on the hoe and draining the little bit of water out of the hydraulic tank the other day and out plops something black. I completely forgot about it, till right now. I’m going to have to go drain that little dog treat bucket and filter it a little, to see what’s I got. lol