Good morning and Happy Easter all, I have an old farm 555 backhoe that I have had for a number of years and am fairly familiar with having kept it going all these years. It has the transmission disconnect switch on the floor board and button on the joystick. A few years back this function stopped working. I am now repairing leaking steering components and have it stripped to the point I have good access and want to get this very convenient function working again. The problem is that I can't find any reference to these components from my service or parts manuals and was hoping someone familiar could give me some insight. What is this function 'officially' called? Does someone know how this disconnect function works? When you press the button on the joystick (or floor board) does it simply send 12 volts to the solenoid on the side of the transmission? Could it be that simple? The only way I have been able to keep this old hoe going is with the help of forums like this and any information on debugging this problem or advising on how this function works is much appreciated. TIA, Carl
Hi Snuffy, I am not a Ford person, but you have a very good understanding of how the cut-out or disconnect works. Find the color codes that are on the joystick wires and find the solenoid on either the transmission or shuttle. Same thing with the floor board switch. You will find that it could be as simple as a fuse, a non-functioning solenoid, or a broken wire. Use a volt meter and find out if the switches are sending power into the feed wire that goes to the solenoid.
Thanks Tinkerer. I just got in from working on the old gal and here's what I found. The 'official' name is the dump valve (I think) and it is that simple. When the button is pressed it completes the circuit to the valve on the transmission. The wiring on this old hoe has been hacked to pieces and I had to use the volt meter and some jumpers (as you suggested) to trace it out. In the end I had to cut and splice some wires and get the circuit working and now when the button is pressed the solenoid is at least clicking. Man am I glad to get that working again. Being able to take the tranny out of gear by pressing the button is invaluable when loading a trailer. Thanks again. Carl
That is great news Snuffy. I know how that function makes life easier. Are you going to try to get the foot switch to work to ? I am sure the joystick switch is about all you need. Thanks for posting back your results. It is amazing how many people come to HEF for help and then never let us know how things turned out.
Just a quick follow up to previous posts. Got the hoe put back together yesterday and verified the dump valve is working again. This is GREAT!!! Took it apart to repair leaking steering components (motor under dash was pouring) and rebuilt all components (steering motor, PS pump and both cylinders). Got seal kit for cylinders and PS pump off fleabay and had to send the motor off. Found a company in Missouri (Midwest Directional I think) that all they do is steering components. Sent them my motor they inspected and rebuilt for around $225. shipped. Great company and great price. First time since I've owned the machine (about 10 years) that the steering doesn't leak. Rebuilt all steering components, including 2 new hoses for less than $500 bucks. Not bad deal IMHO. Also, for what it's worth....if you connect the hoses to the cylinders backwards the steering will be reversed. Turn right and the wheels go left! ;-)
On my '73 Ford 5550, I move the shuttle lever on the steering column to neutral and then rev up the engine to lift and dump the bucket. Didn't know they had a button to do that....
I have a complete wiring diagram for 555 ford, I could send you a copy if wanted
Please seed me a copy
To my email [email protected]
Gavin, no response on my email ford 555 wiring diagrams, most people I got it
Can u send one of the transmission wires all I got was cab and ac