I have an 83 (i think) Ford 555 backhoe. I have used it all winter with no problems. After our last blizzard and hours of moving snow I parked it. I went out the other day to start it and nothing... When I turn the key the dash lights come on shortly, but I have not starter or even a click. I am at a loss of where to start. I hooked the battery up to jumpers and it did not make a difference. Does any have any ideas of where I would start? Thanks, -Jakal
Use a volt meter to find what voltage you have at the battery terminals. Should be 12.5. Take a look in the battery, if it gets discharged, the electrolyte will separate and turn to ice, with as cold as it's been in MN. I'd pull the battery cables off the battery and clean and grease them if the electrolyte is good. Then a battery charger.
Does this mean the dash lights come on normally and they stay on as you try to start it? or do they go out? If they stay on (along with the headlights if you have them) then the battery and probably starter are fine. Possibly neutral switches? maybe you pulled some wires loose with the snow? If the lights go out when you try to crank, then follow El Hombres suggestions.
I had an old 555 once and could not for the life of me get it to turn over one day, it was in neutral all the cables were good and starter was fine. Come to find out the neutral switch on the gear shifter was sticking due to some build up of gunk etc. Cleaned up the switch and fired right up ran like a champ. You quiet possibly could have the same issue. Like I tell everyone I talk to with a problem "start simple". I have learned my lesson over the years. Good Luck Best Regards, Brandon B
Brandon, Where is the neutral switch on such a machine? I inherited the tractor from my father-in-law and have yet to find his manuals.
It is right on the top of the transmission some where close to the gear shifter. You will see two wire going to a round thing and that round thing is the switch. You have the 6 speed power reversing transmission right? Best Regards, Brandon B
Please Disregard the last reply from me. I was thinking of one of my other tractors that had the same issue, by golly its tough to get old. The Start safety EXTERIOR connections you can see from the top of the trans. But you must remove the trans cover the get at the actual switch inside the transmission. Sorry about that. Best Regards, Brandon B