Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555A

Matt89 · 2023-06-21 20:38

New guy here lol. I inherited a Ford 555A has a broken lift arm on top near cab. Anyone have suggestions on how to get the pins out? I’m not familiar with the old ford backhoes a would really love to get it working. Runs fantastic has no issues other than the broken lift assembly. Note it was broken before and welded long before I got it but broke again.

Replies1
  1. #1Swetz2023-06-22 07:51

    Looking at #8 below, you can see the top loader pin. You can also see that the inside of the pin is tapered. This taper locks into the corresponding taper in the frame of the tractor. I am going to tell you how I have separated the pin from the frame, not exactly the correct way...continue at your own risk. I loosen the inner bolt (not remove). Place a thick wall pipe on the outside against the loader arm. Place a well lubricated bolt and a plate of steel into the outer tapping, and tighten. Once good and tight, whack the tractor frame around where the pin goes through, in order to shock it loose...repeat until a pop is heard. Now the taper pin is loose. Remove the bolt and washer from the back side, and slide the pin out. BTW, it is a good thing, albeit a pain, that the pin is tight. They are known to get loose in the frame...very bad! Finally, you can go to Messicks.com and get the drawings like I have attached, for any of the parts on your machine. If you look at the second page, it tells if the part is available and the price. Messicks is the NH/Ford owners friend. If you call they will always help you out....not affiliated, just one of the ones they have helped out.