HI New two the forum.... I just replaced the engine in my 555A with a OEM Reman from NewHoland (the blue one ). The machine only has 2200 hrs. I have owned it for 20 years, got it from the orignal owner who went out of business back in 1990. It only had 1500 hrs on it then. I just use it around my farm. Last summer it developed engine oil in the water, Bad.... It was pumping the oil into the water jacket around the center cylinder so bad that it was pushing it out of the overflow tube on the raditor cap. I found out from a old Ford mechanic that they had bad castings back then. ( 1984 ). Soooo upon inspection and disasembly this winter I found that a chunk of the casting around the oil pump to oil filter line broke off??????? I figured the best way was new engine. Now for my Questions First one...The area around the injection pump is noisey??? I dont rember the old one to be this loud around the pump??? Are they loud or is there somthing wrong?? Second .... The engine goes right up to the red on the water gauge... I thought the thermostat was N G. Took it out , tested it in hot water, Good. Tested a new one and it opened up the same...... put the new one in anyway. No Change. Then I thought sender. Got a new one from Ford... no change..... Top hose hot, bottom hose cold. The raditor is like brand new inside. I checked it when it was out of the tractor, so I dont think that is a issue... When it is Hot and I look down into the filler neck the water is not flowing around?? Do you think there is somthing wrong with the water pump???? It came on the re-man engine. It seams like a real P I T A to get out without taking the hood, nose, ect apart. I see in the parts book that the impeller comes off of the shaft to rebuild, maybe it is not spinning?? Anyone that changed a water pump on this engine let me know what you found, or is there different direction pumps?? I have a bore scope, i might try to look into the pump from the lower hose inlet this week end and see if the impeller is broken or not spinning. Thanks for you input. Matt
i use a manual temp gauge with a 6ft long remote line tied into where sending unit was,,, mine runs about 160 dergrees when theromastic opens
If the top hose is hot and the bottom one is cold, Your water pump is not pumping or something is connected wrong or plugged. There is supposed to be a difference in the temperature of the hoses but you should not be able to notice it much by touching. Maybe you can disconnect a hose at the water pump and look inside or stick a wire in there and turn it by hand to determine if the impeller is turning or even on the shaft.
Get one of those infra-red temperature guns at Harbor Fright, just point the laser at different parts of the cooling system, like the top and bottom of the radiator. Should be a pretty big difference in temp on the radiator. You can shoot different areas of the radiator and see if the temp is different, like having a hotter area because the core is clogged. Plus you can check the deep fryer temps!
Thanks Deon, That is what I was thinking. I have a bore scope at work. Im going to bring it home and pull the hose off the water pump and see if I can see the impeller?? I did pull the hose off wile it wa running and it seemed like the water wanted to pump out instead of sucking in??? Maybe it was just me.... I will say that once the thermostat opens the top hose gets hot right up to the rat. but there is No movement in the filler neck???? That is why i think there is no water circulation. Matt
Well I took a look tonight with a bore scope.......Could not see into the impeller. Looks like i will be taking off the water pump this weekend unless anyone has a better idea????? Ran it again tonight, I am allmost positive that the water is not circulating once the thermo opens up.
is it possible that before you got the backhoe that someone put the theromstat in backwards....the cone side of the theromstat points toward the raditor in the flow.....just trying think of diff things GL
I agree, jimg984. It's something else that is possible. The sensor will be on the cold side.
Well I took the thermostat out and replaced it with a new one even though there was a new one in it with the reman engine last week. No change..... I did make sure it was in the right way. I got a wire into the inlet tonight and the impeller is turning???? I took the belt off and spun the fan and i can feel it in the wire. I will be getting a clear 2" hose in the tomorrow to replace the lower hose to see if I can see anything??? If not I was going to remove the thermo and see if water is circulates?? I just remember from my hot rod days that you could realy see the water moving in the raditor??? Thanks all for you input Matt
I've been around these motors along time Ag and construction ...When everything is right with a thermometer in the fill cap side idle never seen more than 140 degrees..these motors usally run on the cool side..
OK this is where I am at...... Took the thermostat back out today, Put everything back together without it in the neck.....the water is moving in the rat. and temp is in the middle of the gauge???? Now is there a different thermostat ????? There is a 74 on it??? droped it into a cup of water I nuked in the microwave and it opened up??? I know it is not opening in the engine?? This is the second one. I thought the original one in the old engine had a hole drilled in it to let water flow all the time. I dont have it anymore so I cant compair it to anything. Has anyone ever seen this??? I do know that when the gauge goes into the red there is no movement in the rat. Thanks
Drill a hole in your new thermostat,or burp the motor when you fill it up.You be air locked. Good luck Bob
From start up how long does it take for the water to get hot and how hot you talking