Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 655a

Eastside ยท 2024-02-29 02:07

Good morning! New guy here, my 655a shuttle shift, I bought it at a auction it moved back and forth but when we came back to load it up she wouldn't move. I used the backhoe and bucket to load. History checked tranny fluid muddy milk, drained out 3 five gallon buckets, filled and flushed two more times, on 2nd round transmission filter was half full of fresh hydraulic fluid. Here is my pondering thoughts I'm thinking the pump failed. I have a belt driven PTO hydraulic pump has anyone ever tried or thought about adding a pump to the low side out line to a external pump like my PTO then connecting to high or pressure line to get results from the torque converter and hopefully get the machine to operate?

Replies4
  1. #1Old Growth2024-02-29 02:32

    I have a 575E that had similar problems when I bought it. We did a flush and it helped, but did not fix. Ended up being the prescreen in the trans pump pickup was full of trash. It was full of needles and the skins off of fir blossoms/buds and just general trash. I had changed the filters first, even cut them open and didnt see any debris. Was just the screens. Do you get a low trans pressure light and buzzer?

  2. #2oarwhat2024-02-29 08:28

    We had a 655A it was a powerful machine. Be aware the engine injection pump has it's own oil reservoir. We found out the hard way and totaled the pump.

  3. #3bigriver132024-03-14 13:10

    Could you give me some info on where the prescreen is located on the 575E trans pump? Or how to service it. Thanks

  4. #4Old Growth2024-03-14 18:20

    If I remember correctly,, Down by the the lower, rearward most portion of the tranny near the center is a little plate that is kinda ovalish/diamond shaped and held on by two bolts. Behind it is a round steel screen about the size of a film canister. Pull it out nicely so as to not knockoff any bits and clean/flush it off. Then stick you finger in the hole with a paper towel wrapped around it and get any loose debris that may have fallen off of it. Then reinstall.