Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 655a transmission questions

OL MAN FITZ ยท 2021-03-01 16:15

Guys I am having a little issue and can't find it under a search. Just started today when i go from forward to reverse there is a 3-5 second lag or delay before the trans tightenes and moves in the opposite direction.I have had the hoe for 2+ years and it has always been right there when moving the lever. I removed the covers on the floor and the front dip stick closest to the brake lever is full when threaded down, but only 1/4 inch up if i just set in on top of the threads,the rear dipstick is over full when threaded or on full when just setting it on there.Both fluids are clear with no signs of burning or contamination. The trans disconnect on the bucket lever has been unhooked since i bought it and i am not to sure if the one on the foot pedal works, i never try it i find it ackward to reach with my heal. I am not sure which dipstick is for what.Is there a transmission filter i can check or replace? I always found if a trans. is working leave it alone which i had done but maybe i neglected it, have put about 400 hours on it since owning it. I removed the cover on the shift lever and notice 3 bolts and the unit itself is slotted is that for adjusting one way or another,it seems centered with the pull from forward to reverse.Any thought what to look into?

Replies9
  1. #1OL MAN FITZ2021-03-03 07:56

    Have all the old ford backhoe guys passed on?.I found some mention of a screen in the trans that can plug up,anyone know if i can get to it from the outside?,and i find a filter behind the battery box,is that the trans filter?, it is a spin on.

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-03-03 08:33

    I don't know where they are, but I think most Ford backhoes may be in retirement. A search on HEF brings up very little activity for any model of Ford T/L/B's. You need to get both a parts book and service manual for your 655A. Here is a link to the online parts book for you. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/n...ckhoes/a-series/cn/NA_F_S_49_LOA_175_A_SERIES I am posting an image that shows the transmission filter. You will see in the parts book that there are a several transmission variations. You will need to determine which one you have. Look through the parts book and you will find the dipsticks and their locations.

  3. #3OL MAN FITZ2021-03-03 18:32

    Tinker thank you for the reply. Things went from bad to worse, i changed the fluid and filter and ran it for 15 minutes pushing back snow banks then nothing,my biggest fear became reality she is now dead, no forward or reverse. I am going to change up my post a bit.How many hours and how much in parts should a shop costs for a job this large? I assume for all the time splitting it a full trans rebuild would make sense?.

  4. #4OL MAN FITZ2021-03-03 18:36

    What would the machine be worth the way it is?Is it worth fixing?, It has about 3500 hours and some blow by,uses a quart about every 60 hours,has all the glass and heat it is full cab, rear boom is quite sloppy, i would not know what to do with it.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-03-03 19:32

    I don't have any idea what it would cost to have it repaired. You have to weigh your options so to speak. It isn't worth much the way it is. That "sloppy boom" is a real devaluation to it's value. Scrap iron value the way it is now. Find out what it would take to fix it. Then determine what it would cost to replace it with another decent machine. The problem with a replacement is that it also could/ would need major repairs after you get it.

  6. #6Swetz2021-03-05 13:27

    Hey OMF, There is also a suction filter in the system. See #27 below BTW, you may be surprised how many 5 and 655 machines are out there running!! Some honestly love these machines.

  7. #7Check Break2021-03-06 15:45

    Front dip stick is transmission (shuttle and crash box) Rear stick is center housing (differential, brakes and wheel bearings) You need to buy a manual and check your transmission pump pressure. Your dump valve may be stuck open or the blocker valves frozen/stuck. I suppose the linkage pin could have broken between the bellcrank and main valve, but then you'd feel it when you shifted. You said she took time to go into gear, not that she slipped in gear after engaging so it sounds like your shuttle drum didn't throw the snap ring. You didn't mention a hideous noise so it doesn't sound like your flex plate broke. You can look through the inspection cover under the bellhousing to see if your torque converter is still spinning. I say check your pump pressure, the dump valve and blocker valves/pins and flex plate before assuming you need to split her. As for your sloppy boom, that could mean a lot of different things. What's sloppy, the swing tower or the boom pins and bushings.

  8. #8OL MAN FITZ2021-03-13 11:06

    I decided to sell it, i listed it for 4500 on fb and c/l and had 17 hits in a day,the first guy that came offered 4k cash so it is gone.I spoke to a mechanic at chappel tractor,he has probabalee split more of these then any body,he had me check trans linkage, it did not help and me splitting it was not going to work. I will save up and maybe get a note for something newer and 4wd or get a mini i dunno yet,I thank God i had the old hoe it was a life saver building this house.Thank You all for the suggestions it is nice when you talk to someone who has taken on these jobs and has a good idea whats required to fix them.

  9. #9Eastside2024-02-17 18:12

    February 2024 my 655a is having a similar issue after draining the milk from transmission flushed out 3 times. I have the factory manual but didn't recall the suction filter, going to look today, but I noticed the spin on filter is only half full of fresh fluid no milk. Would this suction filter be the cause of the filter not flowing through?