I was left a Ford 4400 Ind tractor with a 735 Loader and a 753 Backhoe. I'm in a pickle with the backhoe, he separated the hoe from the tractor and left the return lines connected, he had removed the right swing cylinder and it is no where to be found hmm. If any of you know of any salvage yards where I could possibly locate one and if by chance may have a shop manual for this backhoe I would greatly appreciate any help at all. All I have for the tractor,loader or backhoe are the operators manuals for them which I am more than willing to share with anyone as soon as I can figure out how to digitize them. Thank You all.
I have been told that this place has a lot of tractors. I have never used them personally. Been told you need to call to find out what they really have. https://www.wengers.com/agriculture/tractor-parts.html
Thank You swetz, I will contact them.
Welcome to HEF, Moon ! Here is a link to the cylinder --> Messick's. Look for the correct one. On most of the backhoe's, the LH and RH cylinders are quite different. I'm sure there are used ones available somewhere. It will take time to contact salvage yards and vendors.
Tinkerer, Thank You for the link it helped. I will be searching for salvage yards for a usable one, and looking in back yards for hidden ones too.
Hey , I am trying to take a less expensive route to fixing this backhoe the ford 753. I am confused about a couple terms, Here is what I want to try, I want to replace >>> 4'' Swing, Swing Assy., 13 Ft., 19-389 with this one >>>> 3-1/2'' Swing, Swing Assy., 10 Ft., 19-388. The problem I am having is, what is the swing difference I know the backhoe moves a good 6 foot when moved so what is the 3 1/2" and the 4" also what is the 10' and the 13' What I need to know is am I just dreaming or is this possible? Thank you for all your help.
In your first post you said it has a #753 backhoe. Are you of that, and it doesn't have a #750 backhoe ?? Without seeing the cylinder in a parts book, I would think the 3 1/2" and 4" spec is the barrel diameter. 10' and 13' are the backhoe lengths. My guess would be anything, other than a cylinder that matches the existing one is an invitation to a disaster.
Yes I do have the 753. hmm ok I'll keep trying to find it. Thanks for your input much appreciated. I'm still learning about this thing.
I need to remove the one swing cylinder that is left on the backhoe, the problem is I don't have a clue as to how to do it. Would anyone have instructions on removing that cylinder either written or pictures please?
I don't have any literature or photos, Moon. But, swing the backhoe to whichever side will extend the swing cylinder rod completely. It doesn't matter if the hoe is extended or retracted when you do that. Put the backhoe on the ground. That is very important for your safety. Because when you remove the pin in the swing cylinder eye the boom can swing freely if it is not in the ground. It could crush you or severely injure anyone standing in the way of it. Take pictures or make a drawing of how the hoses are connected to the cylinder before you remove them. After doing that remove the pin from the base of the barrel. Then you have to figure out what may be in the way of removing it. Even service manuals don't go into detail as to how to remove a lot of things like you are tackling.
I always take a paint marker and mark either letters or numbers on the hose end fittings itself and where it connected when taking multiple lines off. You have to separate the backhoe and the tractor itself to get the swing cylinders out, you don't need to disconnect the lines feeding to the backhoe from the tractor to get it out either, in fact using the hydraulics will help separate the two and put the two back together.
I prefer using matching colored zip ties for the hose and fitting it came off of. They last a long time.
I want to thank You all for all your help. I was always told by my grandad that the only dumb question is the one not asked lol. here is another question if I may, This machine calls for a 4" cylinder. How is it measured? is it outside diameter? if it is then this machine doesn't appear to have the right cylinder on it and I have been looking for the wrong size.
Gramps was absolutely correct, Moon. Measure the outside of the barrel. They typically increase a 1/2" at a time. In the parts book from what I saw, it shows both a 3&1/2 and 4 inch barrel for your hoe. Can you post a picture of your cylinder ? It is possible a generic hydraulic cylinder could work with a little alteration to it. I say that because in parts book your swing cylinder shows that it isn't mounted on trunnions like most are.
Tinkerer, These cylinders just sit into pockets with only the tightness of the swing chain holding them in place. I also checked NH for the size and it showed a 4" and while this site was down I went and measured it and with calipers it was a 5" cylinder, so it would make it a 4 1/2. So from what you have seen by parts book I should be able to use any one of those from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2, What would be the dangers of mixing them, could I use a 3 1/2 or 4" with the one on it now or is it just asking for trouble? Also If I went for a generic cylinder what psi would I have to get? Thanks for all your help.
Do not use two different size cylinders in a paired situation. The bore and stroke need to be the same for both of them. I would advise you to take pictures of the hoses that are on the cylinder you have. Then, remove the cylinder and post a photo of it here. There a lot of members (me included) that will be able to further advise you in regards to a suitable replacement to match it. Most any generic aftermarket 4 1/2 barrel cylinder will withstand way more pressure that your backhoe can apply to it. Just curious if you are posting on Yesterdays Tractor Co forum with a different username, and with the identical problem you have.
Thank you very much and I will see if I can get down there tomorrow and take it off and get pictures, and yes that is prob me as well under timfordson?
Is it possible the cylinder was taken some where to be rebuilt? and is still sitting on their shelf? otherwise, easiest is going to be finding a used one, it's not like a stabilizer or bucket cylinder that gets damaged and are rare used. I'm sure it's the same cylinder on the other side, so most scrap machines will have two good ones. It wouldn't bother me one bit to use a cylinder of a different diameter, the mounting and length will be critical to get right. I've always thought they were measured by inside diameter, or piston diameter.
Delmer; you are correct. AFAIK measuring a hydraulic cylinder diameter is always the inside id. But, in Tim's situation if it is impractical to measure the ID he has to measure the od. Tim may have found a pair of cylinders from a forum member on Yesterdays Tractor Co. ?????? From what I have read, Ford used single action swing cylinders on some of if not all of their TLB's. I would sure like to see a good photo of his cylinder, off of the machine. I'm just curious as to what he is dealing with. Especially if the swing chain is what holds the cylinders in place.
Thanks guys so much, I am going to try to post pictures of it off the machine, Tinkerer I am waiting to hear back from that guy yet.
This one wouldn't upload. here it is on the machine
I believe he did take it to be repaired, but the problem is if he did it went to fla.
A picture is worth a thousand words has never been more true ! Lucky for you that the cylinder isn't mounted with trunnions. It should be quite easy to modify a generic cylinder to fit with a little machine work.
That's good news, any Ideas on how to do this? also the smallest I could use is a 3" I think. Thanks for your help Tinkerer
That cylinder appears to be bigger than 3". HERE is a link that will show you how to measure and an almost endless variety cylinder styles available. When you select a cylinder there will be complete details of the dimensions of it. It should be easy to saw off the base mount on the barrel so it fits the socket of your hoe. Pay attention to the pin diameter of the rod. It also may need to be modified.
I was thinking if I just replaced them I could probably get away with 3" as long as I can still use that one I'll just get one to match size, thanks for the info and link.
I would be concerned with the fit of the new barrel in the socket it sits in. If you downsize you should wrap the barrel with an appropriate size shim. IMHO.
Got ya thanks for all your help.
It's not that hard to find a cylinder that will fit with a "little modification". What do they say? anything is possible with a grinder and a welder and enough time. you might not want to try it yourself, but cylinders can be cut down and re welded easy enough. Get the diameter close, shouldn't be hard to find the right diameter, matching OD will be close enough. Then get the rod cut the right length and the end cut to match. Or wait to find the right one. I know I'd be in no rush to cobble something, but there is that possibility if nothing shows up.
I don't have a problem modifying one but I'd rather not. Would you know how to modify a double acting to use as a single?
There is no need to do any modification to a double when used as a single. I don't know how yours is plumbed, but a single action quite often has a vent on an one of the oil ports. Your chances of finding a cylinder that will not need to be modified is about zero. Careful selection will most likely minimize how much needs to be done tho. If you were to take the one you have to a couple of good hydraulic shops they will prolly give you some good advice and may even find what you need. Along with a cost estimate.
if that cylinder is hooked up to a chain, then obviously it pulls only, but it might still be plumbed two way. It has both hoses, and being a pull cylinder it is inherently double acting. It IS going to be very odd to find one with those dimensions, as the rod diameter is unusually small because there is no compressive force on the rod, only tension. Take some time to exhaust the search for a used one, they will not be destroyed, only need new seals.
For some reason this post was duplicated in the thread. So I edited it out.
That definitely is a single action cylinder. Where does the smaller hose (which is the vent) on the base of your cylinder go ? The hydraulic tank ? I am just curious. After seeing that photo I agree with Delmer. You should find an identical replacement. The aftermarket cylinders I have seen are not the high quality of that OEM you have.
Yes, that is single acting. I won't argue about definitions. The small line is just an air vent, to keep dirt and water out of the dead side of the cylinder.
The vent hose looks to go up behind the pressure lines in that block, but looking at the diagram from NH it is tethered together so I am a bit confused.
The two cylinders swap air back and forth. No contamination into the cylinders as a result. Any news from the feller that offered to sell you the cylinders ?
Correct on the small line. Right and left swing cylinders are connected together.
I have a 555D ford backhoe are the 2 ports with dipsticks in the cab for transmission?
NativeBaller - I have a 96 555D. The dipstick under the brake is for transmission and the one near the diff lock is the rear axle. Transmission Ford M2C 134-d or Ford M2C 159 A/B (10W30 only) Rear axle Ford M2C 134-d or Ford M2C 159 A/B or Ford M2C 86-B Grabbed these numbers from Section E of manual Hope that helps.