Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford 8000 ?

plumberbob ยท 2010-05-26 11:30

tinking of getting single axle dump ford aeromax 8000 8.3 250 hp 12 ft 23 rear 8speed with low 1996 would this make good 10ft dump? or would ln8000 cab be better or worse what is cab diff will be doing home water lines&sewer work THANKS BOB!

Replies25
  1. #1plumberbob2010-05-26 22:36

    well so far i know the aeromax has set back front axle good or bad for a 10 ft dump ? help kind a lost on this THANKS

  2. #2plumberbob2010-05-27 21:28

    ttt

  3. #3plumberbob2010-05-30 10:42

    ????????

  4. #4td25c2010-05-30 11:22

    I would think either truck will work fine plumberbob.I take it you are converting a single axil tractor to a dump?

  5. #5plumberbob2010-05-30 22:22

    thanks td25c still dont know if i like the ford as far as getting parts & what and why the front set back axle yes converting tractor

  6. #6Steve Frazier2010-05-30 23:09

    I can't say from experience, but I would think parts shouldn't be a problem for quite a few years to come. The reason for the set back axle is a tighter turning radius. It may also effect axle loading slightly.

  7. #7plumberbob2010-06-09 09:20

    how much longer is aeromax cab to the Ln cab is there a big diff for what i am thinking of doing thanks BOB!

  8. #8quackattak2010-06-11 22:27

    spent most of my starting years working on Louisville fords. You could spend some time and find one of the more common makes. Every bracket bolted to that thing has a ford part#. Sterling deals in the parts, hard to find and over priced. Some people love those things, I have know idea why. Remember it has been a number of years since ford built any trucks.

  9. #9plumberbob2010-06-12 20:58

    find one of the more common makes are you thinking more like a binder or chevy mack what?

  10. #10willie592010-06-13 08:57

    I wouldn't have a problem using a Ford Louisville cab for a ten ft plumbers dump. I haven't had any problems ordering parts from Long-Lewis Sterling in Birmingham. As for "other common brands"? Chevy still makes a medium duty truck, not sure what their GVWR range is though and if they make one heavy enough. An International 4600 makes a good small dump truck. But given a choice, I personally prefer the cab of the Ford over the International. Doesn't mean one truck is better than the other though.

  11. #11plumberbob2010-06-13 09:36

    what about the pros & cons of the aeromax &ln cab is there that much diff getting in tight spaces like around city houses? THANKS

  12. #12willie592010-06-13 09:51

    No experience with Aeromax myself. Drove and worked on several L and LN Lousville cabs, no real problems that come to mind, my experience is they were a very well built and durable cab/truck. As for tight spaces, you'd have issues with that regardless of truck. Any dump/truck body is going to be roughly 8 ft wide and X number of feet long. Of course, a short single axle dump truck is going to be much more friendly in tight spaces than would be a tandem axle dump truck. You pretty much need to test drive the candidate truck, maybe even back in and out of some tight spots, and see if it's going to suit your needs.

  13. #13Steve Frazier2010-06-13 12:13

    The Aeromax has a set back axle, shortening the wheelbase so it should turn tighter than a standard L cab given the same overall length. I drove the Louisville trucks for 20 years, I really liked the view through the windshield and the way the dash was laid out, it just made sense. I drove both the standard cab and the Aeromax, both turn nice and tight, tighter than some other brand trucks. I drove into NYC frequently and this made it an easier job to wind through some of the narrow streets. The only complaint I have is the distance between the dash and the back wall. I'm 6'4" and with some seats I couldn't get the seat back angle where I wanted it and still have the room to slide the seat back where I wanted it. I'd consider it a great truck for a dump.

  14. #14plumberbob2010-06-13 20:07

    should i be worried about the aeromax being longer than ln cab making the whole truck longer for what i want to do ? thanks every body for your help so far!!!

  15. #15Steve Frazier2010-06-13 21:49

    You do understand the Aeromax and the L use the same cab? The difference is in the hood, the fenders are further back on the Aeromax than the L to accomodate the set back axle. the length from the front bumper to the back of the cab should be the same. Could you possibly be talking about the LTL? It is longer than the L

  16. #16plumberbob2010-06-14 23:09

    i took a ruler from back of cab of ln truck to front bumber then took ruler from back of cab on aeromax and came up 1 foot longer on aeromax cab doi ng this myself could be off a little inch here or there am i wrong the aeromax hase longer cab than the older ln cabs will this afect the truck i want to build for want to do?

  17. #17Steve Frazier2010-06-15 22:23

    Wheelbase will determine the maneuverability, not cab length. Below are pictures of each, I got as close to the same angle as I could. I'm having a hard time seeing a foot difference in length. If you notice on the standard L, the fenders are completely incorporated on the hood, while the Aeromax has the rear 1/4 portion of the fender mounted to the cab, to allow for the set back axle. To me, the hoods look the same length, and I know they use identical cabs. Ford L Ford Aeromax

  18. #18plumberbob2010-06-16 23:00

    if you look inside cab dog house is way back in cab of ln and doghouse of aeromax is way to the front putting motor more to front of cab making cab longer i think but thinking some times gets me in trouble just thinking?

  19. #19Steve Frazier2010-06-17 21:52

    I think you have to be talking of the LTL9000 which has a longer hood allowing the engine to sit forward of the cab and intrude less into the cab. There is also a version with the Aeromax hood which has a set back axle. Again, the wheel base will determine more than the cab length, but the dump body will have to be shorter gioven the same wheelbase.

  20. #20plumberbob2010-06-17 22:37

    no length of back of cab to front bumper of LN truck and back of cab to bumper of aeromax aeromax is longer i think or would bet 12 ice cold ones

  21. #21muzy2010-06-27 10:00

    That is an interesting place to measure. What dose this measurment afect in real world operations? Wheelbase and set back really afect how the truck will performe and handel on the job site. muzy?

  22. #22plumberbob2010-06-27 11:45

    if you have a 10ft box behind cab and cab length is 8ft total is 18ft now if cab length is 9ft your total length is 19ft i would think th e longer one would take more room to turn? or dose the set back axle take care of that? just thinken again thanks bob!

  23. #23muzy2010-06-27 16:25

    I must not understand. Steve and Atcoequip have both stated answers to that question. sorry to waste your time. muzy

  24. #24tonka2010-06-27 16:46

    The WB on the L is 18ft or 216 inches, the WB on the arowmax is 16ft or 192 inches.... therfore the turning radius is smaller on the areomax... you still have to watch out for your bumper sticking out there in front of the truck...

  25. #25plumberbob2010-09-23 22:35

    take ln truck and put aeromax side by side you will see what truck is longer cab only not whole wheelbase which hood is longer?