I have a 69 5500 Ford backhoe with a 6 speed shuttle shift that will not move forward, only moves in reverse any ideas how to start finding where the issue is? Or how to eliminate where the problem is not? Thank you
On Ford tractors of that era with the shuttle shift transmission, if the engine is idling too high you will not be able to shift in forward - you will only be able to shift in reverse. Try shifting in low rpms. Do not force the shifter.
i have a 5500 BH and have a problem with the transmition pump leaking. we put a seal kit in , still leaks, how tight does the seal need to be on the torque conv. we get oil coming ut the cotter pin drain hole. is there a vent? what else am I missing. we have all the books, we are stumped??
I have a 5500 apart right now. On our unit, the reverser transmission housing had problems with casting porosity which had been previously repaired with JB weld. I ground off the old repairs and re-patched just to be safe. Your unit could have similar problem since the holes in the case were present since our unit was manufactured. These transmissions are too light duty for these heavy 17000# backhoes, best to use the loader sparingly for light duty. Also torque converter has a bushing just behind seal which wears out and lets the seal leak.
I have a Ford 5500 also with a 6 speed shuttle shift, it has been in storage for about 12 years and now it is stuck in forward everything else works fine. Here is what my service says: 5500-SERIES 4 CYL.TRACTOR LOADER BACKHOE (3/67-12/69) I think I am not sure your was built from 1970 till 1974. Let me know how you made out with your shuttle clutch. Thanks, Dutch at [email protected]
The shuttle shift transmission on the 5500 is basically like an 1 speed automatic transmission. It has a hydraulically operated clutch for forward and one for reverse. Assuming the shift linkage is properly engaging the shift valve then the problem is likely in the shuttle transmission unit. Unfortunately, there is no access to the "innards" of the shuttle transmission externally. The tractor will have to be separated to gain access to that unit. The forward clutch may be burned out due to piston seal failure or possibly from using too high a gear under heavy load too many times which is what I suspect. If the fluid smells burned it would be an indication of that the clutches are burned. I wish I had more to offer but I think removing the shuttle transmission is probably going to have to be done. My 5500 has a fluid leak from the area of the shuttle transmission and I think I will be removing mine soon. Bummer. Good luck. The 5500 is a powerful workhorse and worth the effort if otherwise sound.
5500 Ford Backhoe I recently rebuilt a 5500 shuttle transmission. I agree these backhoes have strong hydraulics and are built plenty stout except for the shuttle transmission. The transmission appears to be well-engineered and cleverly adapted to fit in the Ford housing but it's better suited to be in a tug and that's what Brockhouse originally designed it for two decades earlier. If you need parts I recommend getting them from across the pond. I can send you a link to a gentleman in London who was very helpful. I could not obtain many parts from New Holland and NH part pricing was outrageous. Gabby
Yes, please provide the link to your Brockhouse parts supplier. Good bit of info on the origin of the shuttle transmission.
biged, o.k. here's the e-mail address--- [email protected] The gentleman's name is Les. He knows his stuff and is helpful.