Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford dump trucks?

Steve G. ยท 2009-10-18 13:59

Hey guys, as some of you might know, I just bought a 10 ton backhoe. I'm throwing around the idea of getting an old dump truck and equipment trailer to pull it around. So, comes my question, what do you guys think of an older f800 or L9000 ford dump truck? Will those type of single axle trucks be able to pull hills with 25k behind it? Not looking for speed btw. I don't know alot about these older trucks as you can probably tell... but i'm looking forward to seeing you responses! thanks, Steve Btw, was thinking something like this: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/1416242490.html

Replies49
  1. #1Steve G.2009-10-18 14:06

    And maybe an equipment trailer like this: http://albany.craigslist.org/for/1409036101.html or this: http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1381085411.html Is it even worth looking at something like this? thanks again!

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2009-10-18 14:33

    In my humble opinion and experience, I would stay away from F800. The L9000 Ford, is usually a good truck to pull this load, if it has the Ford engine, I might stay away from it, if you need the power. Most of these trucks came with a Cummins engine and they should have the power to do the work. I would rather have a tandem axle, for the extra truck weight, to handle the load, but just my 2 cents worth

  3. #3Steve G.2009-10-18 17:28

    What about the F800 don't you like? The power? Or the quality etc? Please explain. Thanks!

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2009-10-18 17:45

    I guess its what you want and need. If you get a heavy duty truck, to do almost all heavy duty work, then everything is a plus. As far as the F800, I personally dont think it has the ump, to do what you need. You didnt say what engine they both had, of course the engine is a factor in both cases. The L9000 is a heavy duty truck and the F800 is a Medium duty truck If either one is a gas stay away from it, the L9000 will be a diesel, but the F800 could be gas or diesel. I have a F800 with a gas 429V8, I havent used it, its something I took on trade, but it probably gets about 6mpg What trucks are have you found and give details

  5. #5Steve G.2009-10-18 20:13

    The F800 that I posted in the first post had a detroit diesel in it... would that be able to do it? Btw, does anyone know the GVWR of the two vehicles? Thanks! Btw, The heaviest thing it would need to do is pull the tractor, it will not be constant use at all... maybe every 2 weeks IF that. Maybe every 2 months at the norm. I'm building my own house in the woods, I'm not a contractor using it 3 times a day. I just want the capability to do it. Does anyone know the ratings of both of them. Thanks again, this is helping alot!

  6. #6Steve G.2009-10-18 20:23

    http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/1407140583.html WHat about this... I like the sound of a Allison/Cat combo:notworthy

  7. #7Steve Frazier2009-10-18 20:25

    My opinion differs from Willis, I'd say either truck will do the job if the GVWR is 32,000 or more. My favorite truck to drive was the Louisville Ford, the cab is roomy, controls are right where you'd expect them to be and the visibility was the best of any truck I drove. The L-8000 will have either the Cat 3208 (which I've never liked) or the Ford inline 6 diesel. I've read good things about the Ford diesel, it's not a powerhouse but engines from that era weren't. It makes good torque and from most reports is a reliable efficient engine. Moving up to the L-9000 will get you into the other engine manufacturers like Cummins, Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel and heavier duty components. The F-800 will have either a 3208 Cat or the Ford 6 again, or possibly a small Detroit or Cummins. I'd avoid any truck with the 3208, we had a yard shifter where I worked that had one that had to be replaced annually, plus it smoked worse than any engine I've known. The F-Series truck use the pickup cab so it is smaller and not quite as comfortable. One thing to be wary of is the empty weight. The F-Series will be lighter than the L which means more legal payload given the same GVWR.

  8. #8Steve G.2009-10-18 20:25

    http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1426669427.html Or this?

  9. #9Steve Frazier2009-10-18 20:30

    The smaller Cats as would be in the GMC just don't have a good reputation for reliability. I think it will be a 3116 in that truck, a search here for that engine will turn up quite a few reports of problems. Make sure any truck you're looking at has at least 32,000 GVWR.

  10. #10Willis Bushogin2009-10-18 22:28

    truck I like the second truck better, than the first. Biggest reason it has the Cummins engine. It is a 1977 vs a 1990, but as Steve F stated, that Cat 3116 is not a good engine. I was just reading my posts and trying to figure out what I said different than Steve F. Must be nite nite time, I didnt see much difference in our replies, except he said either would do. Anyway I agree with everything he said. I wouldnt have a problem buying a 1977 truck, if it was in good condition, its not a real bad price. My first quad was a 1977 Ford L9000, with a Cummins 400. This was just 3 years ago and I sold it and upgraded to a 97 Ford L9000 quad, for almost the same money. The 1977 was in good condition, so thats why I got good money for it. I really like the Ford trucks, they just seem to be easier to drive, in close places, but make sure what ever you buy, thats its in good condition. Stay away from older Detroits, Cat 3208 and 3116. I probrably will get some flack about this, but just read other posts, they are bad engines, with no power:usa

  11. #11nedly052009-10-19 00:40

    Of all the trucks you posted links for that '77 is the best IMO. (plus those floters make it look cool!) my next choice would be the GMC, although without an exhaust brake I would stay away from it, especially if you are in the hills towing a 10 ton machine on a trailer. If I were you I think I would be looking into that '77, for the money it looks like a good truck.

  12. #12Steve G.2009-10-19 07:23

    Thanks alot guys... this really helps. Now, if you were to put the engines in quality order would it be, cummins, detroit, cat 3208, 3116. (I know not all cat's are "bad" - or are they?)

  13. #13ben46a2009-10-19 10:14

    Cat 3306s, 3406s are good solid performers and quite reliable. 3126s arent bad in 21 or 250 horse single axle applications but ring any more out of them and they fall apart. Id imagin the detroit you mean is the old V8 fuel pincher. They are much like the 3208, though good on fuel, they smoke and are gutless and dont last. I would think that GMC is a 3208. The cummins arent a bad little engine though. If the cab is in good shape that LN9000 would make a good truck.

  14. #14Steve Frazier2009-10-19 10:57

    Each manufacturer has different model engines so listing them by brand only doesn't really work. In general, I've been a fan of Cummins 6 cylinders, but they had a V-903 that didn't make much power and was problematic. They weren't used an awful lot so you're not likely to come across one but the possibility is there. The Cat 3406 is a good strong engine, but they are a bit noisier and use more fuel than a similar horsepower Cummins. You might come across a 6V53 Detroit in an older truck, that would be one to stay away from. It's extremely noisy and doesn't make much power, you'll be bonkers at the end of the day driving a truck with one. The 71 Series engines are better but still pretty noisy, plus they commonly leak oil. The 92 Series is a good engine, I've driven trucks with a 6V92 that would stay with a Cummins of the same horsepower. The 60 Series Detroit is a well respected engine, it's the one Detroit initiated their 4 stroke diesels with. I still think the Ford diesel is a good choice too, it was used in the agricultural division for years before being adapted for truck use.

  15. #15Steve G.2009-10-19 10:58

    What's the difference between an L9000 and an LN9000?

  16. #16Steve Frazier2009-10-19 11:00

    Trim level is all, like an XL vs. XLT in the pickups. An LT or LNT will be a tandem rear truck, an LS or LTS will have a set back front axle for a tighter turning radius.

  17. #17aja4582009-10-19 16:24

    ford 7.8l help needed I need help my 1988 ford l-8000-recently just shut off.seems like a fuel pump problem, my problem...........where is the fuel pump located on this beast?it has a bosch 908 injection pump-thanks

  18. #18Willis Bushogin2009-10-19 16:58

    not sure what engine you have, but most all engines have a fuel solenoid on the back of the fuel control. Its usually a one wire connection, check power to the wire, with the switch on. I had a Ford with a Cat 3306 and it would run find and going down the road, it would sometimes just cut off, at first after a few minutes it would start. I checked the resetable breaker and it had the wrong breaker installed (too low of amperage) Later on, I also had a problem with the power wire going to the solenoid, it chaffed the insulation and would short out. Installed new wire and havent had any issues in two years. On another Ford, I had the fuel solenoid go out. Check this out first and post what kind of engine it is, is it a electric fuel cut off, or do you pull a cable to shut it off?

  19. #19aja4582009-10-19 17:02

    sorry its a 7.8 l ford motor. it has a cable shutoff. I was able to refill the lines using the handpump(primer) connecting the lines to a bucket full of fuel. it ended up running till it ran out of fuel-which tells me its a fuel pump issue

  20. #20Willis Bushogin2009-10-19 17:20

    how about fuel filters, I thought the primer pump was located on the fuel transfer pump. Ive had tow of these engines, but I cant think if this was the case on your engine. Sometimes these engines has two fuel filters, one might be kinda hard to find, usually mounted kinda in the chassis area. I would think if the primer pump works, the regular pump should work, but theres always a chance something else, might have happened. If your suction line is on the bottom of the tank, cut the valve off and remove the hose from the tank. Using a bucket, of course, open the valve and see if fuel comes out. Dirt, debris, rags will stop this up. Last trace this fuel hose, to the engine, it should go through a filter first, if so take the filter off and blow the line out and continue toward the engine. Fuel pumps do go out, but I always check other things first. Did you just change fuel filters? Ive had mechanics either install a gasket, without removing the old one and not installing a gasket at all. There is a good thread going on about fuel filters half full, good info there that may help you. Good Luck and keep us posted

  21. #21aja4582009-10-19 17:21

    i changed the fuel filters right off and replaced the water/fuel seperator filter

  22. #22Willis Bushogin2009-10-19 17:22

    Hummmm

  23. #23aja4582009-10-19 17:24

    the fuel pickup is inside the tank-a tube from the top to bottom of tank.

  24. #24cat3202009-10-19 20:44

    I always thought l was the long nose and an ln had the short one

  25. #25Steve Frazier2009-10-19 22:38

    The LTL is the long nose model.

  26. #26Jim Dandy2009-10-19 23:10

    I have a 79 9000 with a 400 big cam cummins. Overall I like the truck. It has 550,000 miles on it. It drives steady but is loud. It can be a little difficult to get parts for. The internationals probably have better parts availability. Be careful buying an old dump truck. They can wear you out money wise. If you drive it and the steering is real loose and feels sloopy I would stay away because you can spend some money on suspension issues. Also is your trailer air brakes or electric. If it is air, remember running air lines to the back of the truck can also be expensive. I like my truck but I wish I had spent a little more money and got a newer truck. Good luck.

  27. #27Steve G.2009-10-20 06:19

    Dont have a trailer that big yet, what kind should I get?

  28. #28Komatsu 1502009-10-20 08:36

    The N signified the short nose version. Before the Louisville trucks they were just N for a single axle NT for the tandem and The F models were the long nose.

  29. #29Jim Dandy2009-10-20 10:32

    I would get an air brake trailer. I have a 20 ton eager beaver and am pleased with it. I was advised strongly to avoid the electric brake trailers. Also, I was told to avoid the 3 axle trailers as they had a tendency to have tires come off in tight turns. The econoline dual wheel trailers have thme inside tire on the other side of the frame and that can be a hassle to change. I am no expert so see what the others have to say. Great time to be buying a truck and trailer, be patient and you will probably get a great deal.

  30. #30nedly052009-10-21 05:24

    Get an air brake, dual wheel trailer. Dont get the cheapo electric brake ones with the tires under the deck. There are a lot of trailer mfgs. now that sell factory direct, you can get a decent trailer at a decent price. Just do a google search for tag-a-long equipment trailers.

  31. #31Deerehauler2009-10-21 22:12

    Parts for Fords are different. If you have a Ford truck with a Hendrickson suspension, parts from a Hendrickson suspension on a KW, IHC, Pete will not fit--Fords are different. A clutch for a Ford truck takes a different input shaft than all other Roadranger transmissions. If you have a good source for parts you will be OK, but be aware that a lot of off the shelf (cheaper) parts will not fit a Ford truck.

  32. #32wolfman2009-10-21 22:25

    L-9000 Ive had 3 of the L series fords there great but go with the L-9000 if you can you can get bigger engines L-8000 had 3208 fair engines best ones were the 240hp with turbo they would be the longer hood because the turbo is on the back. My choice for pulling hills is an L-9000 with a 290 big cam cummins top speed of 60 mph if you dropped it out of an airplaine but it would pull a battleship. Older trucks are hard to find but there mechanical and easy to work on. I had a 1977 and pulled a cat 416 backhoe for years Ive got 94 now with big cummins. good luck

  33. #33Komatsu 1502009-10-22 08:21

    I guess the 3208 did what it was designed for and some guys had good luck with them. I had three and learned to hate them. It was interesting that Cat recommended changing bearings at "half life". Digging around in the service literature you find half life was 75000 miles, although Cat would never tell you what design life was. All three engines were in the same truck - none made it to 75000 although the last failure was likely driver failure.

  34. #34pinesd34002009-10-25 07:18

    F800 - f900 ? I got three of these and they do the job I think that backhoe is around 19,000lb. I even pulled my 215 Cat with it, and that is 36,000lb eeee.

  35. #35Steve G.2009-10-25 07:26

    The 510 weighs over 21k... 21,560 to be exact! Do you pull that load on grades?

  36. #36cat9802009-11-13 16:49

    look for a ford f800 with a 3208cat with a 5spd with a 2sdd rear and you will have no problem thats what my single axle has in it has no problem moving a 315 cat trackhoe on a trailer. Also make sure the trailer you get has air brakes.

  37. #37pinesd34002009-11-20 07:31

    My latest creation The snow is knocking on the door and this former fire truck finnally got green last weekend. So I read these posts and this a F900 (391FT) and 20ton Eager Beaver pulls as all I expect. I respect all of you with newer stuff but this is all I can afford. Dont beleive that a better life when you retire thats a total lie. If I grossed even $9000 this year, I would be surprized, thats why I run old stuff (but new blood under the hood) and I pray for snow. Some of you know me and these are town trucks. This year the rules changed again, more insurance, liability workmans comp. registration fees in this dump state went up some $150 , so if it dont snow Im done. Maybe ill plant dope weed in the bodys... Sam in Taxachusetts:Banghead

  38. #38pinesd34002009-11-20 07:35

    Sweet More like it

  39. #39Willis Bushogin2009-11-20 17:55

    trucks Nice looking truck, what year model is it. As Ive said before, it isnt the age, all the time. A good looking truck will get you work, doesnt make a difference if its a 1960 or a 2009

  40. #40pinesd34002009-11-21 05:20

    Hi Will, well that truck is a 1953 F900 the biggest offered at that time. Its a former 19,000 fire truck my son shortened replaced the Y block with a fresh 391FT and a 5 sp OD Clark. These big blocks slide right in with no modifications, using all standard Ford Parts. Oh yeh I get a lot of comments at the plant, and I always tell them I got five more payments and the truck is mine!!!!! sam

  41. #41pinesd34002009-11-21 05:33

    Truck 28 before before transformation

  42. #42Dwan Hall2009-11-22 02:32

    I picked up a 1988 L9000 with a Cat 3406 w/310 hp. It has served me well over the last 10 years. It now has a little over 450,000 miles on it. Front brakes are air over juice disks. and hard to find parts for. Just replaced my first clutch. I have been pulling an electric brake duel axle with super singles for the 10 years I have had the truck. Other then painting the trailer, replacing the wood deck, and replacing the lights it has had no work done to it. If I had to replace it and could find another one like it I would. Both truck and trailer.

  43. #43CinOK2009-11-25 04:31

    I am assuming that Steve is aware of the licensing cost along with the DOT regs that go along with this size truck and that he will need a cdl and keep logs to operate it.

  44. #44plumberbob2010-05-26 09:29

    looking 96 aeromax 8000 for dump single axle 8.3 250hp10ft box what would be diff if this was reg l8000 which cab would be better for dump truck? thanks anybody! BOB

  45. #45Heavy Highway2010-05-26 09:59

    We run a handful of the L8000 rigged as 2000 gal water trucks and....eh, I guess they are okay but not spectacular. They seem somewhat reliable but we're not really pushing them very hard as water trucks. They don't have a notably high incidence of breakdowns and most are 89-93 models. I would think getting a little more truck than you need would give you more versatility in the long run if you can afford to do so.

  46. #46plumberbob2010-05-26 10:08

    i am plumber with backhoe to do home water lines sewer repair truck now is 1976 loadstar 1700 gas seen its better days need to replace it looking at 8000 aeromax cab or reg l8000 what is cab diff as far as making 10ft dump? thnks BOB

  47. #47Willis Bushogin2010-05-26 19:42

    ford dump I am a Ford guy, I have owned a bunch of different trucks and those Ford L9000 are tough trucks. Im guessing on this, but I thought a Aeromax was a model number, like L9000 or L8000 is. So if its a Aeromax its probably a converted road tractor and was not built to dump trucks specs (Im not saying it wouldnt work) I really like the way the L series are built and looks. If you get it at a good price, I would buy it, but dont pay too much because the resale is not that good on these trucks (at least, in my area) Good Luck

  48. #48Willis Bushogin2010-05-26 20:14

    Ford dump Just thought I would post a project truck I just finished. I know Red Bank likes my project pictures. Its a 1984 Ford L9000 tandem, 350 Cummins with jake brake. The truck was a ex NC, state truck it has around 90,000 miles on it, all the gauges work, even the fuel gauge. 13 1/2ft bed, the interior is about a 8 1/2 very good. I put it to work today and it worked out great. I should have taken before pictures, but it was in rough shape. I kept it Yellow, because in my warped brain Im thinking, I might get stopped by DMV less, if they think its a State truck (and I like yellow and I got a good deal on the paint. Still got some more things to touch up, add A/C, install air ride seat

  49. #49scott8392010-12-05 19:54

    i bought a 1977 l9000 single axel and haul a 12,000 pound mini hoe. the truck has a strong 270 cummins. i wouldnt recomend another 8,000 pounds. you would be crawling up hills. i use a 8 tire tandum axel trail king trailor. this setup works great for me i would hate to see you spend the money and not be happy.