Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford Engine Angle. Why?

greerco ยท 2014-03-22 23:18

I work on Ford ltl9000's all day, I now have one on the farm up the street, it has a series 60 in it , had to replace the bell housing, the new one has no offset holes for the tranny. So ive put it in on the angel of the engine and im going to bend the shifter and see if it will work. My question is, why are the engines in ford ltl's on a slant. I once herd that it stopped the trucks from rocking under acceleration.

Replies5
  1. #1td25c2014-03-23 07:46

    My old White 4000 engine sits at an angle and if memory serves me correct the old Louisville Line Ford truck in line diesels set at an angel as well . My thought was it gave the driver a little more foot room as the number 5 & 6 cylinders were pretty much inside the cab with you . Had a plastic or fiberglass console in the cab you removed when servicing the back of the engine .

  2. #2The Engine Shed2014-03-23 12:54

    Hi , I would be leary of positioning the transmission on an angle for fear of starving bearings of oil on the high side and if you overfill it to compensate you will probably have problems with shifting as well as oil leaking from pressurizing the transmission . Most of the reason the roll engines is to give more room for the accessories on the left side of the engine compartment and also in the cab for operator comfort .

  3. #3RZucker2014-03-23 18:21

    I gotta say I wondered about the trans lube issue myself.

  4. #4Dualie2014-03-23 21:59

    were talking less than 10 deg here. thats like saying driving around corners will starve it for oil

  5. #5greerco2014-04-28 23:00

    So as it turns out the bell-housings on fords have 2 different bolt hole patterns. I ended up removing the trans and bell housing and getting the proper holes machined into it. I didn't like the thought of bending the shifter or starving the trans of oil..it was a little more work but less hassle. My brother, who has never put a tranny in a truck before, experienced how a trans installation sometimes can be very stubborn (first time) and sometimes slide's in first shot (second time) hahaha