We have a Ford F550 Service Truck (2005/6 MY I think) equipped with the 6.4L Ford/Cat diesel complete with all-singing/all-dancing hydraulic fuel injection system. Has anyone ever replaced one of these engines with the International diesel that was apparently also installed as an option in the F550 around that time..? If so can you give us some pointers as to how difficult the conversion is please.
Nige the 6.4 engine is a Navistar. It was in the F series from 2008.before that it would have been the 6.0 Navistar I believe. The Cat engines I think were available in the F650's. Someone may correct me on that. I have the 6.4 in a 2010 F350. With a computer reprogram and the DPF removed its a powerful and reliable motor. I can imagine putting a different engine would be a real contract. Mechanically probably easy but electronically a nightmare. There are conversions available though to fit the 5.9 Cummins and probably the 6.7. I imagine they have the electronics sussed out.
Ray is correct, the 550 and smaller Fords never came with a Cat engine, at least not in the states. He is also correct in that it is a Navistar engine with Ford electronics. And I also agree with Ray that the Cummins 6B engine would be the desirable engine to swap in. It's done so commonly that there are kits available for the swap
Thanks all. I have info from an outift called destroked.com on the Cummins swap and it appears quite straightforward. Added to that our local Ford dealer's not interested in this size of truck but the local Cummins Dealer is also Hitachi and looks after our EX3600s, so that would work.
Try …… fordcummins.com …… just another site that has complete swap kits available …..
Thanks for the info.
I looked into doing the cummins swap as well. So many of those f550 service trucks around that are in great shape but everyone runs from the 6.0. The swap looks fairly straightforward and tons of parts and info available for the 5.9.
If I were doing the swap, I'd look hard at using the 94-98 6bt from a dodge application. Stupid simple and dead reliable, destroked sells the reluctor wheel kit for tach and whatnot as well. The 6bts are also very forgiving with poorer quality fuel then the isb/qsbs are.
Nige is this truck a F550 or F650/750? The F650 came with Cat, Ford/International and Cummins engine options during that model year. The F550 would have come only with a 6.0 power stroke for 05/06 MY. The 550 is a heavy duty pickup and the 650/750 is a single axle, big difference in swapping engines.
I'm trying to get details of the exact model number & MY. If I can find a photo I'll post it. It has an IMT Service Truck body and crane installed. Problem is the truck's nowhere near me right now. I have the VIN # if anyone can identify it from that. 1FDAF56P17EA60639.
The Cat description could be the HEUI fuel system International used in the 7.3 and 6.0 which they licensed/acquired from Cat.
OK, found some more details. It is actually a 2008MY F550 equipped with a 6.4 Powerstroke motor.