Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford ft800 with log loader

Brandon_M ยท 2016-09-03 15:24

Have a ford ft800. 3208 cat & 13 speed roadranger. I've made a log truck out of it. Has a 22 foot log bed. Was looking to mount a log loader on this truck. I'm not a full time logger just weekend projects wondering what all I need to complete this & is it worth it. Truck is in excellent shape & runs, drives great. Truck has a gvw of 50,000lb.

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2016-09-03 15:37

    Well, log loader, PTO, and pump for a start, but typically the trucks they mount self loaders on will have heavy frames with extra cross members and the frame will have a doubler under the loader at least and possibly for most of the length of the frame rail. Lotta leverage there.

  2. #2Brandon_M2016-09-03 15:41

    By a doubler do you mean a double frame? The truck is double framed from front to back. It's a heavy built truck.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2016-09-03 16:49

    You are not going to set no speed records with a load but for a hobby truck it should do you well. Are you front or rear mounting the loader. I always likes a rear mount for reaching and loading but it does limit the truck for other uses and limits length of log you can carry. I am not sure how the 3208 governor will perform with the loader. Someone on here will have better info on that.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2016-09-03 17:18

    3208s have a great governor for this sort of work. They use a tractor-type variable speed governor even in automotive applications.

  5. #5Brandon_M2016-09-03 17:25

    Thanks for the replies guys!!!! It would be a front mount behind cab loader if I could do it. Glad to hear a few positive comments on the idea anyways.

  6. #6lantraxco2016-09-03 17:45

    Yep, double frame should work! There are several brands, friend of mine says in his neck of the woods Hood is popular. Grizzly is popular also.

  7. #7Brandon_M2016-09-03 18:02

    Does the loader itself specify what pump to run, such as different loaders call for different pumps. What ratio pto to run as well. New to the loader sene. Just something I'd love to do with this truck it's in excellent shape would be perfect for the weekend logger

  8. #8Brandon_M2016-09-03 20:30

    This is the truck I was thinking about putting the log loader on. Everyone in my area runs a prentice loader. Not a guarantee to do it but I'd like to that would free up my backhoe from loading with. Something like this is what I was thinking of looks like it works well on this truck. Again thanks for everyone's help

  9. #9old-iron-habit2016-09-03 20:30

    Your pump size is going to be dependent on your loader, it could be a single or tandem pump again depend on the way the loader is plumbed. If you are looking used the best way is to get it all off a doner rig. Not sure about your area but there is a lot of old log loader trucks with decent loaders on them setting around here. A smaller pump will simply slow it down a bit and may only run one circuit at a time.

  10. #10lantraxco2016-09-04 02:49

    Prentice is a very good brand. Yes, as OIH sez the loader will specify flow and pressure, from that and whatever PTO will mate up with your transmission you can figure out the pump size(s) you will need and the tank if the loader doesn't come with one.