My Ford 555 Loader (old, ugly, but usually dependable), has started popping out of gear. Any gear, any speed. Also makes some grinding sound in motion but sounds external to the transmission? I did some searching, could it be the throwout bearing needs greased? Is that a thing on these old loaders? Any other likely culprits? Any advice appreciated.
I don't know anything about Fords, but in a plain ole gear box worn out gears or a broken, or dislodged snap-ring on the main shaft will cause that symptom.
Does it help narrow it down than clutch depressed, nice and quiet. Clutch released , almost like if you leave something metal in the washing machine... it hasn't been abused or overworked so I am at a loss at where to look. Is it possible a nut or something came loose inside? Reaching for any idea where to look next.
Does that happen when the machine sitting still ? All I can say is that with the clutch repressed and the noise ceases, indicates that there is a problem in the transmission. Drain the oil out and see what comes out with it. If it has a filter, remove it and cut it open and sew what is in it.
Turned out to be the linkage flopping all over. Back to pasture work! Thanks
Just curious, is this a 555, or a 545? I never heard of a 555 with a clutch.