Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford LRG423 Choke

AColeman ยท 2020-03-26 11:16

I just installed new carburetor on a 97 genie z45 with ford lrg423. The choke does not seem to be working. I can turn it by my hand from the stub shaft on carburetor. How do I test electric choke? My machine shows a spot for choke/glow plug but looks blocked off from factory.

Replies4
  1. #1BrownBear2020-03-26 11:36

    Put an ohmmeter across the terminals. You should measure 10-15 ohms. If there's no continuity then one or more of the leads to the delicate heating coils inside is probably broken. I had this problem on my own LRG423 and was able to stretch out the coil to form a new lead. If the resistance is right, then in a cool room (so choke is closed) apply 12V across the terminals and then over a minute or two you should be able to watch the choke open.

  2. #2BrownBear2020-03-26 12:00

    Also make sure you are getting 12V to whatever wire hooks up to the choke. On my JLG 40H, anytime the ignition system is energized, the choke is getting power. If you're not seeing that, time to dig out the wiring diagram.

  3. #3AColeman2020-03-27 08:24

    Check power at choke wire when I hit the start switch the choke power goes on, let off on start switch and choke power stay on for 2-3 seconds. The choke does not move at all unless by hand. I tried adjusting choke coil all the way rich. The carburetor and choke coil are brand new

  4. #4BrownBear2020-03-27 09:29

    I can't verify this on my own machine right now, but electric choke heaters are generally supposed to be energized 100% of the time the ignition is on. A few seconds of heating during starter operation isn't long enough to affect the choke position. My guess is you have the wrong wire going to the choke terminal, or else somebody has modified the wiring. Check your wiring diagram.