Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford New Holland 655E backhoe Electrical

James in GA · 2025-04-30 12:24

I have an electrical problem killing my battery. I disconnected my battery posts but I still have power at my switch panel. Instruments light up even with both posts of battery are disconnected from battery. Any ideas ???????

Replies12
  1. #1digginok2025-04-30 12:47

    Maybe a silly question, but does it have two batteries? They had them stacked in front of the radiator if I'm not mistaken.

  2. #2James in GA2025-04-30 13:52

    I have one large battery up front in front of radiator. Specifications say one 22 volt battery.

  3. #3Swetz2025-04-30 18:27

    This is exactly what is happening. Take off the battery tray and you will see another battery under it. The E series are 12 volt machines.

  4. #4NH575E2025-04-30 20:08

    X2 They are 12V. Some have one battery and some have an optional second battery that mounts under the top one. The dual battery option connects the batteries in parallel for higher cranking amps in colder climates. Pay no attention to that 30V pole in the bottom of the fuse panel. It is NOT a 24V system.

  5. #5NH575E2025-05-01 18:16

    One more point. If it is stock it should have a negative disconnect switch in the right side of the engine compartment. Turning that off should kill all power to the tractor and preserve the batteries.

  6. #6James in GA2025-05-02 08:55

    Thanks for the comments. I will check things out this weekend and post results .

  7. #7James in GA2025-05-02 21:20

    I checked it out and found the second battery. I had it tested and it had a dead cell. Replaced it and put everything back together. I will check it tomorrow to see if batter still has a drain. I still have not found a disconnect switch but maybe this will solve my problem. Thanks for the help !!

  8. #8cosmaar12025-05-02 21:44
  9. #9James in GA2025-05-03 18:53

    So that is an electrical disconnect ??

  10. #10Badco2025-05-03 19:09

    yes the way it is should be live turn handle pointing at the motor should have no power

  11. #11cosmaar12025-05-03 20:59

    Yes it is. I use it every time when I leave the machine sit for my 555e. It’s a ground disconnect. No ground = nothing works.

  12. #12James in GA2025-05-04 14:51

    Very interesting !! Thanks