Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford spindle broke

td25c ยท 2009-03-26 20:33

Sorry folks,I know its not that exciting,but this happens from time to time.Grandpa orderd the 4000 new with the low profile option.The steering axil is to light for a loader .My dad gets on it and thinks its a cat 963 high lift.But we keep putting it back together.The ford 4000 is like familly to us,I am just glad it cant talk about all the places its been.

Replies11
  1. #1qball2009-03-26 23:16

    i have a ford 2600, which looks to be an exact copy of that tractor, and i have brok a few spindles. gotta replace the radiator tomorrow.

  2. #2Richardjw~2009-03-26 23:20

    looks like a real war-horse .......with a swept-back it looks like its off a 3000 axle from here.....mind you its probably the same wheel bearings. We used to have a 4000 with loader and regularly (12yrs) shifted 0.5ton round bales of silage and shifted tonnes of shy-tea and I think we only ever had one king-pin go, snapped on the top.

  3. #3td25c2009-03-26 23:40

    Its the "SU" 4000.Low profile tractor.I agree Richardjw,It looks like a 3000 axil.Its been a good war -horse.

  4. #4Richardjw~2009-03-27 05:38

    just a thought, maybe try some 7.50x16 tyres on the front instead of the 6.00x16s might help with absorbing some of the shock.

  5. #5td25c2015-08-12 20:50

    I think I found a cure for the spindle problem .......... Ford skip loader with front wheel assist . Customer had us spreading stone on a job and we used a 545 to load with . Pretty nice machine . From what I can see looks to be built off the old Ford 4000 platform with 3 cylinder diesel engine ,transmission & rear housing look very similar . Loader is built tough & hydraulics cycle fast . Front axil looks to be built pretty heavy . Handles real nice , I like it !

  6. #6Queenslander2015-08-12 22:46
  7. #7td25c2015-08-14 19:24

    LOL! Aint that the truth . Good one mate:lmao

  8. #8Queenslander2015-08-15 00:57

    Haven't had to resort to the method above, but I have chained the axle to the loader frame to limp home after breaking the spindle on our 4610. As you say, never designed to carry a loader but a great little workhorse nonetheless. Cheers, Greg

  9. #9Ronsii2015-08-15 01:29

    Make sure you keep the steering tie rods greased as the ones on the cylinders are not serviceable... they are integral to the hydraulic cylinder rod... so about $250 to replace.

  10. #10td25c2015-08-15 21:03

    We have broke several over the years . Not to big of a deal to replace , I have welded them back a couple times . I holds fine until it breaks again . They are pretty tough old rigs otherwise . And not to bad on fuel .

  11. #11td25c2015-08-15 21:06

    Will sure keep that in mind Ronsii . Thanks for the heads up info .