Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford TLB ahead of its time

Orchard Ex ยท 2009-05-20 20:14

Here's one that I saw at a customers place the other day. 4WD and 4WS. This was a new one on me.:drinkup

Replies12
  1. #1Orchard Ex2009-05-20 20:17

    A few more:

  2. #2Steve Frazier2009-05-21 20:44

    I wonder if that was a conversion considering the Emco nameplate on the front? The rest of the tractor looks like a standard Ford 5000 series machine. I've never seen one like it either.

  3. #3willie592009-05-21 22:01

    I'm trying to figure it out as well, Steve. I'm surprised someone doesn't know the low down on this thing. I noticed the Emco plate as well, know nothing about them, never seen one. It is interesting, though. I've worked on a number of old Ford loader/hoes, but I've never seen one 4wd/4ws. But its Ford shows all over. I noticed the owner is using the chain from the boom to stabilizer arms to secure the boom, something most folks didn't bother doing on the old Fords, but that is the proper way to stow the boom.

  4. #4Orchard Ex2009-05-22 20:31

    I was told that the original owner bought it new (he has since passed on) and that there were only a few ever made. His daughter and son-in-law own it now and use it from time to time. I think that he told me it's early '70's vintage. Gas engine and I would swear that I only saw 3 plug wires.:beatsme This is the only one I've ever seen too.

  5. #5willie592009-05-22 20:42

    I have seen 3 cyl Ford gas engines. The thing I'm curious about is how they did the rear axle steer. Most loader/hoes of that era were still an ag tractor chassis, which has engine, tranny, and differential housing all bolted together to provide a chassis. Then the axle housings extended from the diff housing. Who made an axle housing that would bolt onto the diff housing and had a steering knuckle? Me not know. Also, it's a planetary hub, I can't think of a loader/hoe of that era that had planetary hubs.

  6. #6bear2009-05-23 04:21

    that is an odd critter for sure. I like it. Wish my old ford backhoe looked half as good.

  7. #7Taylortractornu2009-05-26 18:30

    OOOH Daddy Like. I cdant help it and an old Ford kinda guy. I still have my old Ford 3550. Thats a first for me to. Like the old BallMar conversion tractors that were based on a Ford unit.

  8. #8D5G2009-06-13 17:21

    Thats an awesome old ford! Any more pics?

  9. #9daman2010-03-26 11:36

    Looks like someones project,i don't think ford ever made something like that,maybe,it does have a series 755(15ft reach)hoe and 740 series loader that only came on the 4500

  10. #10Orchard Ex2010-03-26 19:10

    Definitely NOT a project. It was bought brand new just as configured. Dad knew the original owner and I know his heirs who have it now. If I get a chance I'll take some more pictures of the rear steering arrangement.

  11. #11daman2010-03-26 21:22

    looks tough,,whats it got for a motor the standard 201 ci 3 cyl?

  12. #12oldseabee2010-03-27 11:18

    Clark Transmission Division made a lot of axles for other OEM's. Michigan made a small loader with all wheel steer and planetary hubs, might be the same axles.