Ford to Repay Navistar $80 Million to Secure Supply of Powerstroke Diesels http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6424156.html Looks like Ford and Navistar are at loggerheads over the Powerstroke-diesel supplier's price and warranty support. Aparently Ford has underpaid Navistar, and filed suit over the money. At one point within the past few weeks, Navistar simply stopped shipping Powestrokes to the Ford plant, and announced plans to mothball the Powerstroke line where they build the diesels for Ford. A Michigan judge has ordered the two companies to play nice -- made Navistar commence shipping and Ford pay the Navistar invoice. But the suit is still pending. If Ford loses/abandons the Powerstroke, what's that mean for 1-ton Superduty F-Series sales? Larry
IMHO Ford is not worthy anymore, I am wanting for the Sterling/Dodge to come out. If the transmission holds up and there is no other big problems Ford could become an after thought. That is if the Sterling/Dodge dealers provide solid service and no monkey business. I have 350, 450 right now but both have the 7.3 and want nothing to do with the 6.0 or 6.4.
The issue came to head because Ford was doing all of the warranty work and Navistar wasnt reimbursing Ford for the work, so Ford decided to stop paying, Navistar quit shipping engines, and so on down the line it went.
This is from another site... WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday told dealers to temporarily stop selling certain 2008 F-series Super Duty diesel pickups after receiving reports of flames shooting out of the vehicle’s tailpipe. Ford said it was recalling 37,400 F-Series Super Duty trucks with 6.4-liter diesel engines. The majority of the pickups — 29,000 — were still on dealer lots, the automaker said. Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said it received three reports of flames coming from the truck’s tailpipe, caused by leaking fuel that ignited in the exhaust system’s diesel particulate filter near the tailpipe. “It’s really something that we noticed early on and we’re moving swiftly to fix the problem,†Jarvis said. There have been no injuries or vehicle fires connected to the recall. There has been one report of a grass fire in Texas that was quickly extinguished, he said. Jarvis said the flames could only occur in engines with leaking fluids, which he said was very rare. Two of the complaints involved leaking fuel injectors and the other involved leaks coming from a crack in the turbocharger shaft. The automaker will have dealers upgrade software for the powertrain control module, which will power down the engine under higher-than-expected temperatures in the diesel particulate filter. Similar software updates will take place at the Louisville, Ky., plant where the trucks are built. Jarvis said the stop sale order should only last a few days as dealers reprogram the software. Owners of the remaining 8,400 trucks will be notified about the recall in early April and will be able to have the software upgrade at no charge. In a separate action, fewer than 10,000 of the trucks will have the battery cable rerouted to avoid chafing against a shield in the engine compartment that prevents water and mud from getting into the engine. Ford said the recall does not affect gasoline-powered pickups or those with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter diesel engines. Not looking good for ford.... -Eric
Where'd you see that?
seems right on par for ford .... doesnt seem like they do and problem solving before they start shipping trucks to the dealer lots....... although i know a few guys that would love to look in the mirror and see flames out the pipe
I found here http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/03/21/ap3539110.html
Thats always a nice feature.
FLAMES GOOD! :guns i would love it if my 2000 7.3 excurtion blew flames
fords responds well could not master the 6.0. so we went to the 6.4 now we are haveing problems with it better start with the next size motor. lol:beatsme :deadhorse
I have 2 things to say about this matter. First of all the new 6.4 PS coming out made me find an 07 6.0 on the lot for another work truck while I could still get one. I don't like to be the test subject for new products. Let someone else go through that.:Banghead :bash Second and more importantly the EPA regulations for the new on-road diesels and soon to be off-road diesels are going to be a headache for all of us that use them. No one really knows how this new technology will perform or its durabilty regardless of manufacturer. I am not taking up for Ford but I think that anyone that needs to buy new trucks or equipment in the near future are going to be in for a learning curve. Frankly it scares the crap out of me. But that is our government working against, I mean for, US.
For the most part the 6.0 is the same motor as the 6.4 and it’s a good motor furd just screwed it up. My understanding is that furd is going to start building there own motors in India. The Dmax isn't having any problems that I have heard of, but it isn't a new motor they just added the DPF. I have heard of some Cummins problems, but don't know for sure it's still the same mill. I bought a 06 for this very reason.
ive owned all 3 makes diesels and sorry fellas gotta go with 7.3 STROKER DONT CARE HOW OLD IL REPLACSE CAM SENCERS TILL THE COWS COME HOME !!! :Cowboy
All 3 manufactures are in financial troubles which isn't good I bought a 03 6.0 which I'am taking a chance on but I have no choice not many 7.3 PSDs out there that are not worn out. So far I'am happy with my 6.0 its got good power and its quieter except for the louder turbo whistle If Ford can't get the 6.4 to work right it will be the end of Fords diesel pickup market. I do find it funny that the twin turbo 6.4 shoots flames out the tail pipe :falldownlaugh
Yeah, they will just drop out of that market all together.......never to be seen again.
With the diesel option for Canadian built trucks being so expensive now its not worth having a diesel. Now the gov't wants to add a enviromental levy of 4000 dollars because your buying a larger vehical. The new emmision motors in the class 8 trucks are having the same problems.
I know of a few guys running D'max's and they have had nothing but problems with them. Puking oil out the head gaskets, fuel pump failures and injectors seem to be the most common problems. I think the problems with all the manufacturers is they are cheapening their product to keep the sales price low. And this doesn't just apply to vehicles and equipment. Does anyone really want to eat a hamburger that only costs a dollar?:throwup
Then they would probably get a CAT diesel.....Until Dodge/Sterling 4500/5500 series proves itself Ford will still be on the top of the market. Also keep in mind Ford is the ONLY truck company to make a extended cab version in their F450-F750 lineup, no other comercail truck copmany does that except International. Also GM's series of the 4500/5500 is much larger so does not really compare to the Ford F-450/F-550 series & Dodge/Sterling 4500/5500. So the battle will be between Ford & Dodge. Also the Durmax is being rebuilt to meet '08 emissions, so there maybe problems with it then. Example -
That is one thing about Ford they do have quite a few options when it comes to cab and chassis trucks.
Yeah isnt it (depowering engine) esp when its in a pump (fire) truck, or ambulance. Wouldnt a brush (fire) truck that shoots flames be awsome???????:beatsme
They must have 01s a few of them have head gaskets problems, I have only heard of a few fuel pump failures, but the 01- early 04 injectors are a problem and the 04.5-05 can overheat when tow heavy. They got it right so far with the 06+ with the exception of Thejdman's truck. We have had several hit 500K it’s not up to Cummins standards yet but gain fast. Unless there is more emission to meet in 08 then the Dmax will not be redesigned.
I just wanted to clarify. I know several guys running D'max's and not all are having problems. I didn't want to sound like everyone I knew running D'max were having problems.
You have no idea Here is a vid of a furd throwing some flames. Could be a hit a luch time:notworthy .
The articles concerning Ford and Navistar have been faithfully reported in both Detroit papers over the last few weeks. Anyone ever owning an original industrial Ford diesel would know why they don't produce their own for automotive use. The 7.3's have been a pretty decent power-plant so long as the fuel system is properly cared for. They do hate even tiny bits of water in the fuel. But great news! When you purchase a new Ford diesel-powered pickup these days, you also get a lifetime supply of marshmallows and willow sticks. Hot dogs are optional.
:jawdrop I think I might have to get one!:notworthy
Yup, I can see it now........ Homeowner : "What took so long to get here. My house is burned to the ground." Firefighter : "Well ma'am, The truck started to depower because the thingy-ma-bob was getting too hot. Every time I would try to go faster it would depower more." Homeowner : "Oh, ok. I'm sorry, is your thingy-ma-bob going to be alright. The house can always be replaced." If it was built right in the first place then the trucks wouldn't have to be reprogramed. Just another car manufacturer Band-Aid, because they are too cheap to fix it right. A brush truck with flames.......it would definately do away with the need for a drip torch on controlled burns.
Holy crap I didn't think it was like that That would be good when you pull up beside a rice burner with 3 inches of ground clearance and some punk kid behind the wheel. You could scorch some paint on the car while you are stopped at a light :roll I guess Ford is going to supply weenie roast sticks with complimentary all beef wieners. Select customers will get marshmellows
Oh yeah- now I really want one!
A rice burner?
Only if it shoots flames out the tailpipe!:bouncegri :notworthy
I don't know about flames but my sister has one she is trying to sell that smokes. You know what they say "where theres smoke, theres fire". :laugh
Is your sister "hot" ? Post a pic
All the manufactures have problems with the first model of anything. I wonder how many problems the 7.3 had on its intro. The difference now is the internet. A couple of problems show up and its all over the internet. And the story gets bigger each time it's told. The good thing is all the manufactures do try to make things right. It's their reputation on the line. I'm sure ford will get the 6.4 right. Just as gm got their engine right.
The 7.3 is claimed to be the best motor ever made by some. That motor was plagued with problems when it came out too. My dad had a 95 the first year it was a turbo diesel and that thing was a POS in every sense of the word for the first two years nothing but problems and the glow plugs kept going in it wouldnt start if it was in the upper 30s or below ran good for a while after that. He sold it in 2001 with 130k on it and the floor guys that subcontract for us bought it. They loaded the thing to the max with industrial sanders and stain it ran till 2004 when the computer went on it and the owner decided against fixing it, it had over 230k when it bombed and 3 transmissions but it was good. Give everyone time theyll like the 6.0 once thats gone too. -Eric
i had a 94 that was turbo'd...didn't have direct injection though. that came the next yr.
The 7.3s had their issues, but they are minor compared to those of the 6.0. I've owned four 7.3s and bought my last one a year earlier than I had planned to avoid the new 6.0. I'm glad I did. The 7.3 was prone to oil leaks, and had a cam positioning sensor that would fail almost regularly. The oil pans rot out prematurely and the solenoid for the glow plugs has a high failure rate. But they rarely experienced total failure as have a number of 6.0s. A friend of mine who has owned Fords for years and always has a fleet of 5 or more in his business has had two of them blow up, one on the way home from the dealer when he picked it up new. I've been a Ford man when it comes to trucks for as long as I can remember, but my current trucks are most likely the last ones I'll own. I've had nothing but trouble with them and have received little help from the dealers during the warranty period. They are both 7.3s and I've replaced the CPS on both of them plus the oil pans. One currently needs the glow plug solenoid. There have been other engine problems covered by warranty, but I've had many chassis issues too. When I've scheduled them for repairs I've often had to take them in twice for the same repair, it seems I have to argue with the service rep on what is actually the problem. Today's mechanics can't diagnose unless the on board computer tells them there is something wrong. Nest time around I'm going to be looking for an alternative.
Your lucky I'm even speaking to you after that little comment. The guys seem to think she is. After all good looks run in the family. No pics, cause I STILL don't have a camera.
I believe the 7.3L was a direct descendant of the earlier 6.9L. I "think" the 7.3 came out around '88(the first year they offered both in a Ford pickup truck IIRC). Not sure about the 6.9, but they'de been around for awhile by then. So, they had alot of time to improve the 6.9's problems before increasing it's displacement too 7.3. I had a 6.9, and liked it very much. It was underpowered, but I'de never any troubles with it, mechanically.
The 6.9 was first put into Ford P/U trucks back in 83 it ended 87 then in 88 the 7.3 started it was natural aspirated till 94 it was offered as a turbo diesel in the same year the PSD was offered but it was called 7.3 DI. Then 95 the "Powerstroke" name came out and it was pretty much the same engine but with variations to 2003 then the 6.0 was from 03 to 07. The 7.3 Powerstroke and the IDI only shared the same thing which was the displacment. The 7.3 PSD had a heavier block and different heads etc it was a totally different engine. The 7.3 IDI was a bored out 6.9 which is why the 7.3 IDI had cavitation problems the cylinder walls were too thin. You sleeve a IDI when you rebuild it the engine would last for ever. The big problem with the IDI was the high compression it was never designed for turbo applications. You put a turbo on it but its very low boost. The other problem is the fuel system only puts out so much. The 7.3 IDI never could get big power out of it because it over heats and its high compression. I had a 7.3 IDI it wasn't bad but wasn't much power. The truck I just sold which was my 95 it was PSD power the truck run good I had to change the CPS. Never had any oil leaks or any other problems. My brother has a 94 Dodge Cummins the truck runs good but its loud and its underpowered. It does what he needs thou and gets good mpg. I don't know how such a small engine makes so much noise. His neighbours complain when he starts his truck up early in the morning. I have a 2003 F-450 with the 6.0 its a good one when I got the Oasis report there wasn't many problems with the truck. The 6.0 has lots of power and I'am getting better mpg my 7.3 ever dreamed of getting and to boot my 03 weighs 1000lbs more. I was playing around this morning and goosed the truck to see what it would do I had to take my foot out of the throttle. I almost got a speeding ticket today pulling a hill the speed limit is 60km (37 mph) and I was doing 70km (44 mph) I looked in the mirror and the cop was going to turn and stop me but seen I slowed down so he kept on going. Personally I don't like the looks of the 08 Fords they are ugly maybe they might grow on a guy. Its the head lights that make the new Fords ugly. The engineers at Ford-Chevy and Dodge better be designing pickup trucks that run on nothing but Biodiesel it will be the diesel fuel of the future.
all 2008's recalled already i guess that there is a chance of a fire from ignition of oil or fuel from the exhaust LINK TO THE ARTICLE LINK TO THE VIDEO