Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fordson Major with Case hoe attachment?

Phil ยท 2009-08-10 19:00

I've been thinking about buying this tractor from a friend and putting my model 33 hoe on it, from a 580CK. I think the tractor would handle the weight. The tractor has the hydraulic pump mounted way out front which is a plus. Also the loader works very well and there is a bucket for it. However the tractor has no power steering and it's a very old machine. I think I could make the hoe attach the same way it does to a Case tractor so removal would not be a difficult task. Do you think this would be a good conversion or would the age or make of the tractor affect the value. Looking for any and all comments. Phil

Replies2
  1. #1willie592009-08-10 20:38

    As for how it would affect the value of the machine, seems to me that would only matter to someone who would want if for restoration. But for practicle purposes, it seem the hoe would make it of more value since the hoe adds working ablility. Looks like the perfect machine for your hoe. Even got plenty of metal up front to add counterweights if necessary. I say do it, then paint it, and then I'll bug ya about puttin' decals on it.

  2. #2AussieChris2009-08-10 21:14

    That setup reminds me of when I was a teenager and I helped a mate put a front end loader on a Fordson Major. When hooking the hoses up to the spool bank we thought we could just attach the hoses using normal worm-type hose clamps. It lasted about a nanosecond before we were covered in oil. Lucky neither of us got hurt. The next time I saw the machine, the hoses were professionally terminated. We used that Fordson a lot for building moto-cross tracks. Unfortunately, the machine's life ended when my mate's somewhat retarded uncle decided to change the engine oil and drained the sump and filled the gearbox (well it did have a dipstick). After about 30 minutes of ploughing a field the engine seized and that was the end of the Fordson Major. It didn't have a hoe but we had a blade on the 3PL which was weighted down with logs. Thanks for the pics Phil. And yes, add the hoe and send us more photos. Chris Brisbane Australia.