Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fordson Snow-motor

digger242j ยท 2010-01-10 18:52

My buddy Don sent me the link to this. I wonder why they never caught on? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c8c_1262588210

Replies11
  1. #1willie592010-01-10 19:42

    I recieved an email about that yesterday digger. I was wondering if those drive drums would allow it to go on water as well.

  2. #2Grader4me2010-01-10 19:58

    That was quite a video. Really interesting, I felt bad for the poor old horse though. Yeah, I wonder how far this invention actually did go? Obviously not far, but it makes you wonder why. Looks like the cats meow, especially back in those days when people were snowed in for weeks. Great video...thanks for sharing..

  3. #3Steve Frazier2010-01-10 20:21

    That was my first thought too. I don't know if they would be big enough as is, but it sure would be easy enough to build one for that prupose using the same theory.

  4. #4digger242j2010-01-10 20:23

    Yeah, Pretty neat machine. I'm kinda surprised the KoO doesn't have one... I suspect the fins would need to be larger to make it go anywhere. :beatsme

  5. #5heavylift2010-01-10 23:38

    Interesting .... I was surprised with it's pulling ability.... unless the logs weren't real

  6. #690plow2010-01-12 23:06

    Pretty cool idea amazing what this country used to do.

  7. #7truklodyte2010-01-13 16:44

    Now I know where the russians got the idea of a tank.There is a video of a Russian tank vehicle in youtube with the exact drive system. For get traeds in winter make one of those machines.

  8. #8carogator2010-01-13 17:03

    What is needed on a computer to view these video's? mine says loading and counts up to sbout 24 and moves about 2 seconds and starts loading again, over and over.

  9. #9Oldiron2010-01-14 12:34

    I have a book (America's classic farm tractors) that has some photos of the Snow-motor / fordson with a bob sled like in the video . the serial plate is 100-A Maybe it was too expensive and never went into production a couple of years ago I saw a kid's remote controled toy with a VERY similar system the video won't load,like you described, if the internet is too busy

  10. #10Dozerboy2010-01-14 18:56

    Dang I was going to post this very vid. My guess is that it couldn't compete with crawler type vehicles.

  11. #11alco2010-01-18 01:02

    We had a machine similar to this at work, but it sat in one spot for years and never moved an inch. The one we had kicking around was called an amphi roller. It was amphibious, but struggled in really soft material I am told. I never saw it run, but those who did said the reason it was parked was due to the excessive wear on the rollers/screws. I was told they wore the first set out in less than a hundred hours, therefore, it was too costly to run effectively.