Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Formark log yard is all but shut down

skyking1 ยท 2025-05-30 02:48

Since they opened it up many years ago, it has been a constant operation, putting export logs into cans going back to Asia. The yard is empty now, plenty of expensive iron and a few big bark piles is all.

Replies15
  1. #1525isx2025-05-31 09:38

    when the "tariffs" happened they couldn't sell to china- sold most of their inventory to SPI- I heard they are still buying some wood. I haven't hauled into there since Jan.

  2. #2skyking12025-05-31 09:44

    thank you, I knew some folks here hauled in there.

  3. #3DDoug2025-05-31 13:13

    How did they do this ? Bundle them in a frame and then slide them in ? Stand the can on end and load like welding rods ?

  4. #4525isx2025-05-31 14:13

    log loader (shovel) slide them in 1 at a time

  5. #5skyking12025-05-31 14:23

    Good analogy Doug. That's exactly what it looked like. A guy stuffing a box of welding rod, sideways.

  6. #6Nige2025-05-31 14:42

    That's exaclty how they did it in the logging operations in the Amazon.

  7. #7Hallback2025-06-29 19:36

    They said they're done. They've been under constant fire from the developments that have grown up around them in the last ten years also.

  8. #8525isx2025-06-30 04:14

    just recently been there? I haven't spoken to anybody taking wood there

  9. #9stinky642025-06-30 17:53

    Hauled a bunch of hardwood lumber jammed in containers out of Pennsyltucky. Empty container backed to dock, then 20,000 lb.+ bundles of banded lumber pushed off dock into cans then airbagged for transport. We hauled them to the rail then they traveled to west coast for use or ocean transport to points unknown. Always wondered if there was a tipping floor or just a bunch of little Chinese fellers in the can to remove the cargo.

  10. #10Hallback2025-06-30 22:52

    No Sir, they're done done

  11. #11skyking12025-07-01 00:29

    I saw some loading going on a day or two ago. Probably cleaning up odds and ends.

  12. #12525isx2025-08-08 17:31

    hauled 2 loads in there today, from job I'm on, believe they sent 5 total there. it sure is empty and quiet !

  13. #13Hallback2025-08-08 22:37

    Yeah in one week they went from shutting down closing the doors to opening them back up and running. I pass by their daily going to RV

  14. #14skyking12025-10-19 09:14

    It is so weird. They have old iron but there is one new 600 Komatsu there now.

  15. #15skyking12025-11-11 01:15

    I drove by this morning at 6 and they had 5 light plants going.