Our insurance company requires that any truck we use on our jobs or any service provider who works on our property (mechanic, lawn service, etc) must have workers' comp. I know a lot of good owner/operators who claim exempt status who can't work for us because of this. Can I organize some sort of co-op for them to get together and buy insurance, either comp or an acceptable substitute? How would you do about such a thing? thanks! kevin
How can you buy workman's comp when you don't have any workers? Isn't that kind of a Catch 22? Who would the insurance cover? Or am I not understanding workman's comp correctly?
From what I can tell, it's a BIG catch 22.....
Kevin, the company I lease my truck/services to also has a rule requiring workers comp. or a disability policy which meets their standards. Workers Comp. is available through some insurance co's for individuals self employed, such as O/O's., although it is very expensive. I was able to get a disability policy, and Blue Cross/Blue Shields health insurance policy directly from BCBS for self employed people/small businesses, which covers medical expenses/accidents that happen to self employed people on the job or anywhere else. http://www.bcbsfl.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=ProductsServices.home§ion=visitors My health policies title is "Aware Care", although Florida's may be different. I'm in a pool of many self employed people. Other plans are available for co's of 50 of more people. Both were scrutinized by my company for adaquete coverage, and passed their requirements.