Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Free quarry overburdened?post away

Deere500a · 2026-04-29 20:16

Is it available in Florida?33898 Broker tri axle $700 a load damn it I'm buying a truck.I can't blade it phone line at grade/roots replace 3" fill in driveway.I have CDL ,Hertz etc I can rent a truck 5yd/10wheeler cheaper & tailgate it for a day . 6" rip rap was free quarry fines etc

Replies44
  1. #1Deere500a2026-04-29 20:20

    Vulcan here in town salesman & small concrete recycle 3/4" base is gold

  2. #2Deere500a2026-04-29 20:25
  3. #3CM19952026-04-29 20:31
  4. #4CM19952026-04-29 20:31
  5. #5Coaldust2026-04-29 20:41

    Burdened by what has been? I see an invasive black Florida python and some Sasquatch tracks in the sand. I would high-tail it out of there.

  6. #6Deere500a2026-04-29 20:46

    The question was asked to you CM southern folks lot of west coast quarry have overburdened if it's a problem delate me

  7. #7Deere500a2026-04-29 20:50

    Waste rock overburdened 13yrs delate me have a real question

  8. #8CM19952026-04-29 20:51

    No problem I just have no idea what you are talking about.

  9. #9Oxbow2026-04-29 21:02

    That's the phone line I take it? I'm really not sure what you are asking.

  10. #10Deere500a2026-04-29 21:07

    57# stone is 3/4 base west coast crusher waste is free ie quarry fines

  11. #11CM19952026-04-29 21:15

    #57's here in AL is 3/4-1.5" crushed washed stone. A typical 25 ton load of #57 stone delivered to a jobsite in central AL is $900+. Nothing is free here from the quarry - they charge for everything.

  12. #12Deere500a2026-04-29 21:27

    Okay question was answered no free dirt stupid question sorry deleted me

  13. #13Deere500a2026-04-29 21:27

    Delete me

  14. #14HarleyHappy2026-04-30 09:04

    Tourettes again? Sometimes the pits around here, have to give stone dust away, as they are allowed to only keep so much on site. Think it’s about PH in the soil or something, not sure. Just know every couple of years, pit next door puts out sign for free stone dust and they will even deliver in their trucks for free.

  15. #15RTSmith2026-04-30 09:45

    Around here, they sell the dust as Ag Lime to adjust PH in fields. Like CM said- they give nothing away.

  16. #16CM19952026-04-30 10:29

    Vulcan has probably 100K tons of "all weather fill" which is basically dense graded base piled at their quarry closest to me. Last time I inquired they wanted $22 per TN and we haul.. The pile has been there for years.

  17. #17cuttin edge2026-04-30 11:58

    There is a quarry a couple hours from me. They had over 10 feet of over burden. It wasn't good material kinda sandy clay but they would just charge $25 to load it. If you brought your own machine you could just take it. But that was in the early 90s

  18. #18DDoug2026-04-30 14:22

    Must be the strawberry's.....

  19. #19HarleyHappy2026-05-01 09:10

    I believe I have decoded OP’s opening post. I used my *** decoder ring. He needs to raise a driveway, maybe in Florida. He listed zip code, I believe and doesn’t want to pay local prices. So, he may be able to rent? A dump truck? Drive a dump truck? And cover his exposed phone cable. It all makes sense now! Nobody is getting deleted, debated, or debased. Maybe deboned?

  20. #20cuttin edge2026-05-01 09:59

    To me the overburden I the stuff you strip to get to the good stuff before you drill. We are lucky. Our quarry the rock is only a couple feet on average below the soil

  21. #21CM19952026-05-01 10:47

    Overburden here depends on the quality of the limestone. If it's just a crushed stone quarry operation the overburden is the topsoil and dirt that covers the limestone vein. Might be a few feet deep or 20'. Now if it's a chemical lime quarry they may blast and haul off off 30-40' of limestone that is not the quality they are looking for. One chemical lime quarry has a partnership with a road builder/asphalt company to bring this limestone overburden to their crusher operation set up adjacent to the pit. We buy most of our crushed rock from them. Sometimes we order "waste rock" which is the tailings between the belts, the edges of the piles that have mixed together and misc. clean up. It can be good and it can be not so good. We have gotten waste rock loads that was a nice 8910 and 57 mix then other loads with rip-rap mixed in. Usually the waste rock is $5-6 a ton less than DGB with runs $20-22 a ton across the scale not including trucking.

  22. #22cuttin edge2026-05-01 11:45

    I delivered a load of drainage stone to a fella that had moved here from the west. He was concerned that the stone would break down over time. I had to grab some stone out of the back to show him how hard it was. Im assuming he was used to a limestone material

  23. #23materthegreater2026-05-01 12:28

    I had a customer tell me once that he didn't want me to use a ledge product on his driveway because he heard that ledge turns to mud.

  24. #24Deere500a2026-05-01 15:19

    Reply got here have been running into trying get supplies, lumberyard gone using lowes & hd asking around here deadends .Brunt out trying doing hobby projects/handyman dead ends for my aunt & I'm flying out for while.She pays+tips crew she has tree work done Simple small jobs she cant find hire out lic/good people. The driveway covert was rusted out failed simple hour job with mini ex figure couple calls have a 10" or 12" x20' poly pipe/steel needed 12' searching & calls waiting on call backs hdpe suppliers anyone had pipe listed days gone past 1 had in stock but $400 end at Tractor supply $130 12"x10' don't stock it +$100 over size fee had drive 90mi another Ts had the pipe on the self. Cut down a 12' palm tree landfill sign all greenwaste $20 walk up girl at the window $124 her familia repeat $124 landfill off table for dump runs. Lot of wasted days. Driveway is a hazard for her exposed roots low spots ruts yes want to build it Up but look at hire a dump delivery is $700ea load form there spoil pile not from a quarry & $50/60 a ton project priced out figure about 10tons go from there. Some prices have ran into are tourist traps stop put plan on back burner. Gone

  25. #25HarleyHappy2026-05-02 11:01

    Well, as someone that has 1600’ feet of grey driveway, it does kinda, or did turn to grey mud. Then I installed 1200’ of driveway fabric and now the wife wants to do the rest of the gravel, to keep the grey mud splatter, off her white car. It’s getting very hard to find grey stone around here lately. It’s mostly brown and I don’t want to mix the colors. To me, stone dust, should be grey but have worked with the brown and it doesn’t seem to lock together as well.

  26. #26HarleyHappy2026-05-02 11:06

    I was getting 3/4 mini pack here delivered, for 400$ a tri-axle load, last year. First load this year was up to 480$. Diesel needed for everything, from drillers, blasters, loaders, trucks. Unfortunately dense grade doesn’t tailgate well!

  27. #27CM19952026-05-02 11:59

    That is cheap. Ordered 250 tons of DGB for a recent project about 6 miles from the quarry. It was $600 per 25 ton load delivered. 25 tons @ $19 per TN for the rock and $5 TN haul.

  28. #28materthegreater2026-05-02 15:54

    The only places I've seen it turn to mud is where it isn't shaped properly and can't drain off. But then anything that gets saturated with water will turn to mud so it's no different than anything else. Around here it's about the opposite. Very few sand/gravel pits with brown material to be found. Almost everything comes from blasted ledge which is typically some variation of grey. Or maybe gray. Depends on who you ask. I think the brown stuff doesn't lock together as well because it has sand in it, which is round, not angular like stone dust.

  29. #29CM19952026-05-02 18:39

    Our limestone won't. #24's which is typical for a construction entrance here. Average golf ball sized but angular from going through the crusher. This load was a little over $900 delivered - 25 tons. And they wonder why sitework costs so much.

  30. #30cuttin edge2026-05-02 18:46

    Is that loose to clean tires before you go on the road

  31. #31CM19952026-05-02 19:32

    Yeah. It's supposed to clean the mud off as the trucks leave. Works ok but doesn't get it all.

  32. #32cuttin edge2026-05-02 20:16

    Used to do it here with round rock. But most of it left between duel wheels

  33. #33CM19952026-05-02 20:34

    These #24's are just small enough to not get caught in the duals.

  34. #34JaredV2026-05-02 21:47

    It's interesting what different areas call rock products. Around here crushed rock is whatever screen size it went through, like 1-1/4-" or 1-2". Round rock is screenings, pea rock, con agg or 1-2". I'd never heard of #xx's or Class x until I started hanging out here. Maybe it's because we tend to have a lot of hard rock pits.

  35. #35materthegreater2026-05-02 22:26

    I think the mud Harley and I are referring to is when the surface fines (stone dust) get soft from large amounts of rain, and like he mentioned, can get picked up by tires and make the car look nasty. This is not the same as when a driveway gets structurally soft to the point that ruts are made. That usually only happens in the spring when the frost is going out, which I'm guessing isn't an issue in your neck of the woods.

  36. #36CM19952026-05-02 22:48

    Figured it was a different type of stone. We have stone dust here "8910" that works pretty well for driveways and ditch fill if compacted. It's basically crushed 1/4" down limestone and it sets up pretty hard if it's thick enough.

  37. #37BC Placer gold2026-05-02 22:48

    Every time I leave our mining claim I look down into the duals (just a pickup) To make sure no rocks have wedged. I seem to be on good terms with the local cvse inspector & want to keep it that way!

  38. #38Deere500a2026-05-04 18:12
  39. #39Deere500a2026-05-04 18:14

    Carny to sale this as driveway material

  40. #40Deere500a2026-05-04 18:16
  41. #41Deere500a2026-05-04 19:06

    Order Class 2 is state Dot "Caltrans" spec for hwy, road base for the binder clay/sand 3/4"rock mix for compaction & flex class 3 is for water pass through / 3/4 baserock non spec. Quarry 10 miles apart 6"+ "rip rap" other 6"+ "headstones". Concrete recycle 3/4 base was cheap because of silica dust that asphalt recycle didn't have but 2024 law change

  42. #42Deere500a2026-05-04 20:18

    In Cali that's roofer's trash money to dump. Clay tile light weight fiberglass tile

  43. #43Deere500a2026-05-04 22:24

    Dumbo crow's I've posted not a bite. Steve you can delete profile

  44. #44HarleyHappy2026-05-05 09:55

    Looks great!