Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Freewheelin’?

Tigerotor77W ยท 2009-01-15 22:01

Any speculations on what causes freewheeling? I'm referring specifically to when you raise the entire machine (stabilizers and bucket) and use the backhoe and the rear wheels spin.

Replies4
  1. #1JS580SL2009-01-15 22:09

    Easy way to stop that. Take it out of gear on the gear lever. When Im digging for long periods of time I got in the habit of doing it. Or put the park brake on. I forget exactly why it does it though. Take it out of gear is easier that way you dont have to hit the e-brake every time you have to push or pull yourself with the hoe.

  2. #2surfer-joe2009-01-15 22:33

    When you remove all load from the drive wheels and the tranny is in a gear, there is enough residual oil flow in the torque divider to move the gears and driveline. You can actually grab a wheel and stop it at an idle. I wouldn't try it at a higher RPM though. Good idea to take the machine out of gear or apply the park brake.

  3. #3Tigerotor77W2009-01-15 22:55

    Ah. I hadn't realized that the machine had to be in gear. Now that makes sense. Thanks guys!

  4. #4JS580SL2009-01-16 17:40

    We now have a Deere 410G and one thing I dont like about the powershift is that I can't fully take it out of gear. I went under the machine the first week we had it to grease the driveshaft points only to find out there was 1 grease fitting. It was a pain to look though. The 580 Id just leave in neutral and spin the shaft or tires by hand to line up the fittings.