Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Freightliner Parts Info Wanted

Nige ยท 2016-12-01 04:06

G'Day gents. Today it's me looking for information instead of being the source of it ...... We have a Freightliner M2 106 228 wheelbase 4x4 linesman's truck here, I'm told it's an 04 model. And also as usual no parts book..... I am trying to get Part Numbers for a complete replacement front driveshaft from the transfer case to the front diff (it may be 2 separate parts, not sure) and the support bearing assembly. See photo below. Can anyone help with an online parts resource..?

Replies5
  1. #1Truck Shop2016-12-01 07:37

    The best way usually is using the last six digits of the serial number. But more than likely a visit to a drive line shop can be the best way to go. I doubt Freightliner will have the two shafts for it on the shelf. And finding a used one I would think is going to be tough. Just my two cents. Truck Shop

  2. #2Nige2016-12-01 09:17

    Thanks for the reply. Obviously I have the complete VIN Number but I'm working on a remote job site in the South American jungle and drive line shops down here are a little bit few and far between ....... in fact from where I'm sitting there's no civilization in any direction for at least 100 miles at the nearest and even at that location there is no Freightliner dealer or drive line shop. If I could somehow get part numbers I can set our purchasing people on the case to source the parts from wherever they can find them. I was kind of thinking that these 4x4 linesman's trucks were fairly common with utility companies in the US therefore getting parts for them ought to be fairly straightforward once I have the part numbers in my hand. I certainly wasn't looking for used parts, it's new ones or nothing.

  3. #3Truck Shop2016-12-01 10:41

    Sorry didn't know you were working in the middle of know where. All the lineman trucks around here are IH. If you post the last six serial numbers I will be glad to do a search for you. Truck Shop

  4. #4DMiller2017-09-12 08:02

    What I hate to state Nige and may be obvious is most of these machines come as common long WB straight trucks where the frames are shortened to fit a need and the drive lines are re-worked as well. Best bet and easiest fix is to measure U-joint centerline to support bearing centerline then from that bearing to the centerline of the differential U-joint centerline. A decent shop anywhere in the world can build a replacement shaft based on those dimensions and u-joint type which is underside of cross caps(installed size) and diameter of the caps or the yoke assemblies dimensions as you have the shaft out. Will save buying a new FrtLnr shaft only to have to send it to someone to rebuild to length.

  5. #5DMiller2017-09-12 08:04

    Should be a standard Spicer series U-joint and support bearing.