Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

From Desk Job to Diesel: Chasing My Childhood Dream

MidLifeCATrisis · 2025-02-03 09:20

Hello everyone, Hope you're all having a great day! I can’t keep this short, so I’ll keep it honest (LOL). I’m 30 and looking to change directions . I’ve always LOVED big equipment—especially CATs. As a kid, all my toys were trucks, dozers, and loaders. I’d move tons of dirt from one side of the yard to the other and back again (LOL). My grandpa was a HET working on CATs—he was my rock. I always wanted to work on heavy equipment, but coming from a traditional Middle Eastern family, I was forced to go to university. (I mean, I caved—though not before getting my ass whooped a few times and even sleeping on benches in the park, LOL). I built a solid career, earned a good income, and checked all the "right" boxes, but damn, I regret it. After 12 years of mostly white-collar factory jobs (FMCG), a bachelor's in Industrial Engineering, and an MBA, I’ve decided to give my dream a shot. Maybe it's a midlife crisis ( I mean, look at my username! ), but after months of asking for advice and soul-searching, I know this is what I want. It might sound like I have a rosy vision, but I understand (as much as a desk jockey can) all the challenges that come with this career. I LOVE working with my hands, solving problems, and getting dirty. I hate sitting behind a desk. I want a physical job, outdoors, where I earn my paycheck through hard work. Even now, whenever I can, I ditch the desk and spend my time with the operators and maintenance crew on the shop floor. I’m moving to Canada in a few months, and as an immigrant, I’ll have to restart my career anyway (that’s just how it is, I guess. "Fresh start" and all that). So, I might as well take this shot. If I truly can’t hack it, I’ll swallow my pride and go back to an office job. I know my career so far has been pretty sheltered, and that’s true. But I’m no stranger to overwork—I’ve been working two jobs for the past 12 years (While going to school for 6 years of it) , saving money for immigration. I’m here to learn from all of you and absorb as much knowledge as I can. Right now, I’m focused on making myself more competitive while waiting for my immigration case to process . So far, I’ve: Started physically preparing —working out every day and reaching my ideal weight. Learned to drive stick as a step toward getting my CDL in Canada. Started learning to read wiring and hydraulic diagrams. Been watching YouTube videos to familiarize myself with the lingo and tools. Begun studying technical resources to brush up on the technology (using THIS resource). Signed up for MIG welding classes (I have some hobby-level experience with stick welding, machining, casting, and electronics). My plan is to land in Western Canada (Alberta) and apply for Finning (CAT)’s ThinkBIG program . If I get in—great! If not, I know there are tons of opportunities in mining, forestry, and other industries. My backup plan is to self-indenture, complete my first year of schooling (it’s only two months), and then go shop to shop with my tools in the back of my truck, introducing myself and asking if they’d take me on as a helper, wash bay worker, or lube tech —anything to get my foot in the door and work my way toward an apprenticeship. What do you guys think? ​ What else can I do to improve my chances of landing a job? Also, where’s the best place to ask these kinds of questions? If you have any advice, I’m all ears. Thanks a ton! And sorry for all the unnecessary enthusiasm—it might sound over the top, but you guys are like my childhood heroes!

Replies39
  1. #1TVA2025-02-03 09:52

    In 25 years older than you, been in the industry since 18. At this point i’d correct your dream, I’ve been kinda pushed in to industrial sector last few years. I would suggest looking in to something mechatronic, involving both mechanical/electrical/electronics and software/firmware. There’s big shortage in technicians everywhere, but whatever I just told you is in highest demand with highest pay. As of me personally: if I knew what I know now - I would start being electrician, than I would move on to industrial controls and communications ( with strong emphasis on signal integrity), plus learning microcontroller ( not operating systems) languages, like C, C++, Java script, Matlab etc. Just my two cents

  2. #2CM19952025-02-03 09:55

    Welcome to the Forums MCat! Glad to have you.

  3. #3TVA2025-02-03 10:07

    My biggest gripe with heavy equipment industry - is forced to work outside in all kinds of weather. It’s a dirty - nasty work. I know it doesn’t really matter when you are young, but it gets really aggravating and frustrating with every few years you spend doing it. At least stay out of mobile. Stay in the shop!

  4. #4Shimmy12025-02-03 10:26

    If you really are as interested in working like you claim, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job. Why are you going to Canada BTW. Plenty of opportunities down here in the US of A.

  5. #5TVA2025-02-03 10:43

    We are short bad on people who can work with hands and brain at the same time.

  6. #6DDoug2025-02-03 10:47

    I think that the quota's are more open in Canada than in the USofA.

  7. #7MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:06

    Interesting, cause I do have tons of experience with programing. At one point I was getting my master in computer science but gave up on it since the market is oversaturated and the pay is not good. I think it really depends on where you are cause in Canada atleast HET are by far the highest-paid with the most shortage and the pay for instrumentation, automation and PLC is pretty abysmal (like 1/4-1/3 of what HETs make) I do appreciate your feedback though Gonna keep my options open

  8. #8MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:09

    Intresting point. What do you think about electric drive mining equipment? You know that was my end goal TBH. It has the electric aspect it's underground so it's not really "outside" per se and it has the intresting aspect of working on both electronics and HET combined.

  9. #9MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:11

    Yeah it might not been clear in my post but I'm not from US. Would've loved it if I could move to US as I vastly prefer it to Canada. But there is no way for me to immigrate unfortunately. It's just not in my cards. BTW you think it's gonna be easy finding a job if I just follow my plan as I said and go shop to shop? Any kind of advice on how to get my foot in the door? Thanks a bunch

  10. #10MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:12

    Thanks a bunch! Happy to be here. Also thank you for all you do on this forum in the age of social media, having such dedicated forums is a blessing ^_^

  11. #11TVA2025-02-03 11:16

    Anything that got to do with power electronics in demand right now. Inverter drives are everywhere. Even old geezer like me had to learn some of that stuff. And I am not ever electrician - I am hydraulics or “fluid power” specialist.

  12. #12MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:16

    Yeah it's exactly as you say. Honestly it's impossible to move to US without first studying there and even then it takes years to get your green card. Financially speaking I just couldn't make it work. I mean I could technically afford it. But it would've been like all my savings.

  13. #13TVA2025-02-03 11:17

    Like I said - not the operating systems programmer, but controller. And high demand for the people that can do both mechanical and programming. If you just a programmer - there’s too many of those

  14. #14MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:20

    Intresting so how would someone like me go toward that? I was thinking going to CAT's ThinkBig as mentioned and focus on electric power over there (you can choose your placements from what I've gathered). To my noobish eyes it seemed like the best way to go. Honeslty I love hydraulics, electronics and mechanics all. That's why I like HET seems like you need to master a bit of everything and then you can / should focus on what you're best at / like the most.

  15. #15MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:21

    Yeah well in that case I have to learn the mechanics first. I might know programming but I'm a baby chick when it comes to actual mechanical skills. Good to have this option as a future prospect though. Thank you for the recomendation

  16. #16TVA2025-02-03 11:29

    You know - I’ve had to change the career less then 10 years ago, moved to the opposite side of the country. Mi wasn’t too focused on corporate jobs because I was in the business for myself long before that. So I can’t tell you anything about that. It was kinda scary to start a new business in the new place, especially with 6 kids “in the tow”, but as of this time - those damned customers about to work me in to my grave!!! The reason I’m so active on the forums lately, because I got overwhelmed and overworked, it’s started badly affecting my health. So I’m taking it easy now. And that’s another warning for you -,don’t get too eager and excited to kill your self working - health problems will sneak up on you later. They do not manifest themselves right away. Sorry for the bad grammar - I’m driving

  17. #17TVA2025-02-03 11:32

    Where are you right now? I’m an immigrant myself, only I’ve been here 30 years

  18. #18MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:37

    OH I didn't mention it? Sorry forgot. I'm from Iran. It's a middle eastern country. You know the one that has a problem with Isreal and US and vice versa.

  19. #19MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 11:41

    I really appreciate all the advice. You're really helping me gain prespective and I'm sure you've done the same for a lot of people here. Just please as you've said don't overexert yourself nothing is worth damaging yourself over. Even your family won't appreciate it. Although it might not be my place to say that Also congratz on having your own business. It takes a lot of guts to start your own thing. It really sounds like you're living "the american dream".

  20. #20TVA2025-02-03 12:02

    O know Iran. My old boss in my country actually did some business with Iran. The clones of French made products. Also I’ve been meeting some Iranian truck drivers at paper mill in Ukraine. That’s where I’m from.

  21. #21TVA2025-02-03 12:05

    That’s another thing: if you think you’ll be your own boss because you own business - it’s not exactly true. The good relationships with your customers are really important to the health of your bank account. Although I did “fire” few of them. At some point you start to understand that your ROI is negative

  22. #22MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 12:10

    Ah that's nice. It's always good to see someone who knows where I'm from. Thanks a whole bunch for all the advice. I'm gonna keep all of it in mind. BTW in your opinion, as someone who was an immigrant want is the best way to break the stigma and break iinto the trades industry? I mean from what I understood you where experienced before moving to US right? But still. Do you think going door to door with my resume is the best course of action? Should I like follow up in person after a week or something? Any advice on that?

  23. #23DDoug2025-02-03 12:13

    I would end the "get to the US" idea, and concentrate on Canada.

  24. #24MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-03 12:21

    Yeah I don't even have that Idea honestly. I am focusing on Canada. All the advice I'm asking for is for Canada. I just though since US and Canada are pretty similar in business etiquette I'd be ok asking interchangeably. TBH with you I'm gonna get my canadian citizenship in less than 4 years and I'll have my permenant residency in a few months. It's not even worth the risk for me if I could go to US. No offense ofcourse.

  25. #25Coaldust2025-02-03 15:10

    Welcome to the HEF. I would certainly try to get accepted in the ThinkBig program. That opens up a lot of doors. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t make it the first time. Sometimes, the dealer will hire you anyways and you can apply again, the following enrollment. Heavy equipment is fun, but have you considered raising rabbits for fun & profit? Changed my life. I’m able to drink more than I used to. So, there’s that. And, the rabbits don’t judge me.

  26. #26TVA2025-02-03 15:13

    He is probably Muslim

  27. #27Coaldust2025-02-03 17:38

    I think rabbits are halal.

  28. #28TVA2025-02-03 18:58

    I wasn’t talking about rabbits. But I’ve got interesting story: one of my friends was working for Boeing, got laid off after 9/11. Got hooked up on computer games, bad!!! When he finally realized that his addiction ruins his family and life - he got off by starting keeping and breeding quail, then added chickens, then rabbits. Turned out to be blessing because all his kids got in to it also. So they had really nice family times.

  29. #29Nige2025-02-03 18:59

    I have one question. Are you prepared to get your hands dirty on a regular basis.? If the answer to the question is no, do not apply...... A small anecdote at this point. An expat working for a Cat dealership in a foreign country and a bunch of local engineers were talking about him. "Do you know the difference between him and us.?" asked onem, then answered his own question. "He's prepared to stick his hands in the oil"............. (The expat may or may not have been me)

  30. #30TVA2025-02-03 19:06

    Today - it wasn’t only my hands in oil. That TL1055 pissed oil on me!!! Pretty nasty also, something going on with that thing. Now it’s “let’s leak whole bunch of hoses from under the crimps” - galore! Looks like crankcase vent filter in that C4.4 wasn’t replaced ever. Had a pinhole in the vent tube, but still was pushing oily mess out if fill lid and “through the wall” connector” Coolers plugged to crap!

  31. #31DDoug2025-02-03 19:06

    Nige could help better than I can, with me looking in from the outside. As you indicated programming and electrical work, the large off hiway trucks are electric drive. How is your industrial electronics knowledge ? Can you work on power electronics ? IIRC the Cat literature is showing 2300 vdc main power buss. You'll find IGBT drives, running 2300 vdc at 1200 amps each. along with low power signal wiring. All manner of programmable computing stuff as well, but more industrial not widows so much. Might be a good place for you, not so much the gears & pumps sort of work. You indicated "Even now, whenever I can, I ditch the desk and spend my time with the operators and maintenance crew on the shop floor." where do you work now (no name needed, just what do they do) and what does you present job entail ?

  32. #32TVA2025-02-03 19:11

    One thing I love about industrial work - I’m in the shade!!! Totting around Pipeliners clouds and Service Foxes gets old quick. Especially at the end of the day, when im exhausted. Another nice thing - I can leave all my tools on the machine, when all the machinists go home, and they’ll be there next morning.

  33. #33TVA2025-02-03 19:26

    I don’t know about oil, but “closer to the subject” - my wife broke down and paid sewer company to come and replace float switch on grinder pump, while I was at work. I’m kinda stingy about paying for work that I can do myself ( I call it mechanics curse) but I kinda glad I don’t have to deal with that stinky things.

  34. #34MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-04 01:43

    Thanks a ton for the welcome, Yeah I though it'd be my best bet. How would you say I could increase my chances of getting into the program? I honestly can't go for a HET shop in Iran since (1) I'm working two jobs to save as much money as possible for my move (2) Due to the sanctions all the machines in Iran are either +50-60 years old or chinese knockoffs so not sure if the work experience would even help Don't tempt me with a good time! I love animals and homesteading but that has to wait until I wanna retire. lol lol x 2 lol x 3

  35. #35MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-04 01:49

    I am ready to get my hands dirty. I know that it doesn't compare with HET but I do work on my own car and do tons of DIY aroud the house. Servicing my own pumps, boiler, coolers, etc. Although honestly that's the limit of my technical prowess. So what would you recommend I do to increase my chances of getting into CAT? You know as someone who may or may not worked in a CAT dealership?lol Thanks a bunch

  36. #36MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-04 02:09

    I really like the idea of working as an HET on electric drive equipment. That was my long-term goal from the start. My plan is to get an apprenticeship—hopefully with Finning (CAT) through their ThinkBIG program. In Canada, this program allows you to work alongside electricians on power systems, and they actively encourage getting a dual ticket as an HET and an electrician, which aligns perfectly with my long-term goal. My approach is to first learn the basics of all aspects of the job—hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, mechanical—then focus on electric drives in the last two years of my apprenticeship. Once I earn my Red Seal, I’d like to transition to FIFO work, primarily servicing electric-drive mining equipment. That said, I understand this is just a wishlist from someone without real blue-collar experience, and I’m fully prepared to adapt my plan as I gain more knowledge and see new opportunities. As for working on power electronics, the simple answer is no—I haven't done it hands-on. However, I do have academic knowledge from my bachelor’s degree, along with self-study. I’ve also spent time hovering over our factory’s electricians, picking their brains (LOL). While I lack direct experience, I’m confident that I can learn whatever is necessary in short order. No worries about the job situation. Right now, I’m a supply chain manager at a tobacco factory (producing cigarettes). For the past few months, I’ve also been acting as the factory manager, reporting directly to the CEO and working closely with the maintenance team, operators, quality, HSE, shift supervisors, etc. That said, this is a small factory, with 6 production lines and a hundredsomwthing employees. I'm more than happy to divulge further if you think that would give you a better picture. And ofcourse any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

  37. #37Cmark2025-02-04 02:55

    You seem to have drive and a positive attitude which will take you a long way. If you can get yourself into an apprenticeship with a Cat dealer, you've got a golden ticket to a good career. My advice is to concentrate on achieving that goal, and think about specialising further down the line. I can't speak for Canada, but here in Australia, any one with experience in digital communications and/or qualifications in HV electrics will be well regarded.

  38. #38MidLifeCATrisis2025-02-04 03:26

    That’s really kind of you to say—thank you for the advice! You're absolutely right—my main focus right now should be on becoming the best possible candidate to secure an apprenticeship at CAT. In your opinion, what can I do over the next few months to improve my chances and stand out from other applicants? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, could you clarify what "digital communications" entails? I'm not entirely sure what that refers to. Thanks so much!

  39. #39Cmark2025-02-04 03:32

    Digital communications could include Networking. IP. Satellite and radio comms. Cabling. That sort of thing. Not necessarily on the machines either. Ground based infrastructure is also needed. The future is remote control and semi/autonomous.