Really I have never been down this road before. I was dragging the 5th wheel and came across this little montage of shovel and truck along the road. Tell me if you see it OK on street view. Sorry I could not safely take a picture myself. https://goo.gl/maps/n94tU5o6EoQEHy257 When I went by there was a sign that said "come on Betty Lou" or something like that. I love that he is saving the old iron for all to see.
Pretty cool. The link went directly to it.
Truck looks older than the shovel, but still looked "right" to me.
Mack Bulldog mebbe?
That is what I was thinking as I drove by at 55~60 MPH
AC Mack
I know that road driven it million times never thought to take picture of the equipment down there. Take it you took back road around to get to 101 cause that sure isn't a shortcut to Hurricane Ridge?
Fort Worden--> Dosewallips and park--> tour out west again Besides, if all you do is take the shortest route you miss things like old iron. We have an old Garmin GPS that we took on our flying tour. We'd rent a car and push the handy button labeled "least use of freeways" and then enjoy a nice slower pace and much better sights than you get from the concrete ribbon.
I revisited the old iron when I wasn't dragging a trailer, this summer. It's a Unit crane. Here is a shot of the engine looks like dual plugs, I did not hop the fence to get a closer look.
Looks like a diesel with external fuel rails?
Thats a old cummins I bet truckshop will know the model of it. It's about 80 years to old for my knowledge
180 or 220, you can see the compression release arm and cable in front. Some body did a refit.
That would have been a beastly powerful truck
Old Mack Bulldog converted from the hand crank gasser??? Wow, LOL!
The 220 part is easy. But going back in time searching the memory vault is that a single disc or double disc pump? I have a hard time remembering the difference having not seen one for 40 years. Bob
I'd want to buy it, and then get it all going, get a tilt trailer and tow the shovel behind the truck in shows. Don't paint a thing.
I was incorrect-AC's starting 1936 to last year 1938 could have Buda or Cummins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_AC
That early it should be a single. IIRC.
My first Cummins experience was a 220 in a tugboat that mostly sank on the Tacoma waterfront in 1980. I helped get it going again. I took off the generator and starter and put them back on after a quick dewatering and minor overhaul.
But here's the great possibility SkyKing---That has the possibility of being the earliest of the Cummins H series engines on the planet. The earliest known to exist is a 1939. The AC's last year of production was 1938. So it very well could be the oldest if original to the truck. There just weren't that many around at that time.
I will inquire. I would hate for any of it to go to the scrapper, for lack of interest when the time comes. When the guy who loves it passes on, sometimes there is little time to save these things. I bet the Unit crane has a buda or little detroit.
Well I can tell you the 1939 engine is in Cummins hands in Indiana now. If it is original it's damn rare.
That engine is a Cummins H series the predecessor to the 220. It has a 4 7/8" bore two valve heads the liners have scallops to clear the large valve heads and it has intake and exhaust manifolds on the right side of the engine.
I hadn’t seen this thread when first posted. I love the pic. I looked at map and realized I’ve taken that route over to 101 from Port Hadlock. Beautiful out there. Thanks for sharing
A better look at the H series and disc pump. https://www.cummins.com/news/2016/04/20/rediscovered-1939-cummins-hb-engine-gets-new-life
Mary Anne and Mack had some company on the job site today.