Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

front brake drum removal on 1974 International 4370

dbs ยท 2013-04-13 01:55

I'm trying to replace this drum however when you remove the drum/hub it all comes off as one unit. The wheel studs are mounted on the back of the drum and it appears the hub is mounted over the studs and to the outside of the drum. I've tried to carefully pound the studs out of the drum/hub assembly with no luck. Anyone with experience on taking apart this unusual setup? I believe the brakes are wedge brakes, Shopmaster RDA air brakes. Thanks, DBS

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2013-04-13 08:14

    Shop press, or improvise with a hydraulic jack and truck frame.

  2. #2td25c2013-04-13 15:08

    My 1974 peterbuilt isent equiped with front brakes but I noticed the hub is machined on the inside for a brake drum to mount on.It sounds like your IH 4370 has the same type of hub.On my 1984 Kenworth the brake drum sets between the bearing hub and wheel.Looks like on the older trucks the drum was mounted on the inside of the hub with the wheel studs seating in the drum.I would lay the drum and hub flat on a hard surface with the drum down and thread a nut on the stud about flush to help protect the threads,grab a pair safety glases ,my sard off sledge hammer ,vice grips and brass drift.Then whale on the stud . Sometimes there pretty tight and ya have go into caveman mode.Be careful and good luck with it. Did you get the cummins going dbs?

  3. #3dbs2013-04-13 16:46

    Thanks for the advice. I've tried the pounding method with no luck. I've tried putting at least half of the weight of my 25K backhoe on a single stud again with no luck. I think I'll see if the dealer can press them out. We've got a very customer friendly dealer here. Yes, I did get the Cummins going by filling the fuel pump. I think the check valve in the pump was bad. Runs beautifully. Thanks again, DBS

  4. #4Markat4252013-04-14 07:15

    dbs,,, Does your truck cold start easier after adjusting valves and injectors?

  5. #5dbs2013-04-14 12:17

    I haven't tried to start it without the block heater yet. I'm not too hopeful though since several people have said the old cummins don't start below 50 degrees. However I am suprised how little the engine smokes as I had heard theses engines tended to be quite smokey. I'm also suprised at how smoothly it runs even at very low idle. Thanks DBS

  6. #6Markat4252013-04-14 19:18

    I just realized I posted this question in the wrong thread,,, oh well. I think I mentioned to you before that all the small cams don't start as hard as the one you have, and I have. "Back in the day" , I had a '73 KW with a 350 small cam and I can remember starting it at 30 degrees without ether and without being plugged in. I'm told it all depends on how the timing is set. The one in the KW was smokey especially when you got in the hills....