Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

front end loader retarder

licencewise ยท 2013-02-11 04:32

hi Hope all had a gr8 weekend... Does anyone have information regarding retarders on a Front End Loader? ointhead Writing a programme on Front End Loaders and need to insert retarder information, Google doesn't have much information Kind Regards

Replies3
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2013-02-11 12:51

    I have been in this business 25 years and have never seen a front end loader with a retarder. Loaders are not typically used in a setting where one would be needed. I am sure there may be an exception somewhere, but I don't know where. Retarders are usually used on haulage equipment like trucks, scrapers, etc.

  2. #2oldseabee2013-02-11 14:47

    Large loaders in a load and carry operation have been to have retarders installed, 2 types, 1. If the machine has a lockup converter like Allison, engine exhaust brakes have been added. 2. Hydraulic retarder, basically a large extra pump working against a high pressure and controlled by a pedal or switch to vary the resistance, used to save riding the brakes on grade, but will make a lot of heat so only good for a fairly short run or used intermitantly on a lesser grade.

  3. #3Nige2013-02-11 17:46

    As above. The only way a retarder can work on a loader is if the converter has a lockup clutch and a freewheeling stator mechanism, thus giving direct drive. Common on wheel dozers, much less so on loaders. A load and carry operation is the only justification for using a lockup clutch, even then based on personal experience I'd think twice about one. The lockup clutch option has been discontinued within the last few years on many loader models I'm familiar with.