Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Front Springs Peterbilt?

Jatreecompany ยท 2014-05-14 22:00

Looking for help. I have a 1994 379 Pete. It has a prentice log loader on the rear. About six months ago the drivers side leaf springs broke. This truck had a 12k lb front end and it had two leafs in the spring pack. Since I was gonna replace them I thought I would go to a heavier set of springs. I called and got some used ones sent to me. When they got there we started to put them on and noticed they were to long. From eye to eye on the springs it was about 2" longer than the other pack I had. Well I thought maybe the was the case since they had more leafs in this pack. I may have made a mistake but we measured and drilled new holes and just moved the hanger back to accommodate the new springs. Things seem to be fine but now I just noticed that the shackle on the drivers side has been pushed back and has become useless and the spring is just riding on the rubber block on the frame. Hope this makes sense and if not ask questions. My question is...... Do all 379 trucks have same length springs no matter weight capacity of spring pack? Im thinking maybe i got some springs from a 357,377, or maybe 378. If so, what should I do. why has the shackle folded back. Should I have left hanger where they originally where and tried to physically arc new spring to where they would become shorter and fit old hangers. Looking of answers.

Replies2
  1. #1theironoracle2014-05-16 00:30

    Put the hangers back and purchase heavier springs. There is surely a good spring builder in your area if not call Bends spring in Portland Oregon. Hopefully you still have one of the old springs to give them measurements from....TIO

  2. #2wilko2014-05-16 10:07

    TIO, it's Benz Spring. But, yeah, that would be my advice too. Hopefully you've got someone local, because I'd hate to pay shipping from west to east coast on truck springs.