I am planning to switch from OEM semi pneumatic tires on front of 310K to Carlisle Ultra Guards. Anything I should know before I buy the new tires. I am assuming the wheels have a hole for the valve stem and will work with the tubeless Ultra Guards but I don't know what to expect in terms of dismounting the old semi pneumatics. Anybody have any experience they could share? Thanks.
Don't the airless tires come bonded to their own wheel? The ones I have had or been around were. You may have to get new wheels for the new tires.
I have the Carlisle tires on my 1845C skid steer and do not recommend them at all. Rubber tearout on gravel is terrible and cut resistance seems to be nil. I have two cut to cords that have never worked on anything but asphalt, and gravel of my driveway. The rubber seems to be as soft as their garden tractor tires and that is honest. I will not consider purchasing another set.
Thank you very much for your response. It seems logical that they have to do something to keep the rim from spinning inside the tire since there's no pressure but I needed to hear about the bonding from somebody who had actually seen it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. If you were buying those tires over again what would you get?
I would not buy semi pneumatic tires unless I was specifically needing to use the machine in a setting where they would be required, such as demo work. It depends a lot on what you are doing with the machine. Why do you want to take the existing wheels off?
The 1845C was originally supplied with Galaxy "Beefy Baby" tires in 12X16.5 size 12ply rating. These Carlisle tires are the same rating but don't wear anywhere near as well. I had fluid in all four Galaxy tires for almost 15 years for the weight addition, and they ran to almost 1800 hours in my usage. I purchased the rims and Carlisle tires as a mounted package but no fluid and they are wearing much faster than the original Galaxy tires without the additional weight. When these are done next year, they will be replaced again with Galaxy tires is my thinking.
The semi pneumatic tire have been on the machine since it was new and the tires are breaking down. I don't have any complaints about the tires which are nearly 10 years old but I refuse to pay what they are asking for new ones. I think I can buy new tires and wheels for less than half what they want for new semi pneumatic tires although I am not certain of that since I haven't had much luck locating the wheels yet.
If standard skid steer wheels won't fit, you may not have much luck if the machines all used the semi pneumatics from the factory. What do you mean by "breaking down"? Those airless tires can take an immense amount of abuse. They may look bad, but may last a long time yet.
I remember watching a uTube video of a tire shop removing them with a special machine. But, the fellow in this video is very clever with a chain saw and air chiesel! There are other videos that show how to remove them.
E. Peoria Tire used to dismount and remount foam filled tires but don't know if they do any longer. They too had only a couple of guys to do it and it was a tedious operation using a machine only used for that purpose.
You mean a machine like this one.?
That is close Nige but theirs had three tools; one in the center as this machine does, and one cutting through each sidewall at the same time very near the rim bead seating area. All three tools plunged to preset cut depth together. Totally automated once the settings were dialed in except minor cleanup. Really neat to watch but they told me when I was having tires installed on a truck they probably weren't going to keep the machine as so much of the need had departed the area. Was about 10 minutes to dismount a tire and have the rim prepped to the next station. Thanks for posting the video.
That is the one I watched a couple of years ago. 9 million views so far ! Good find, Nige !
I don't think I have seen another 310 with semi pnuematic tires so they are not that common. The tires are solid rubber with a couple of rows of holes that go from sidewall to sidewall which I presume are designed to give the tire a little bit of flex. There are numerous cracks forming between those holes. I intend to go ahead using the semi pnuematic tires but I want to have a backup in case they fail.
Am I reading this correctly ? You are going to keep using the semi-pneumatics until they fail. But, you want to have two rims with plain ole tubeless tires (Carlisle Ultra Guards) on them for backups. So, you don't really need to remove the semi-pneumatics from their rims because you will standard rims for the backups.
Solid rubber with holes sounds different from a regular tire on a regular rim with foam added. The foam is what everyone is talking about being a pain to remove. Solid rubber is going to be mounted on a different rim, isn't it? Look at the rims, or post a few pics of the front and back of the rims, the solid rubber tires go on a rim with no step in the middle, that part of the rim is needed to get the bead over the rim on a pneumatic tire/rim.
Solid rubber, whether it has holes in it or not, comes mounted (bonded acksherley) on it's own purpose-designed rim. When the tyre wears out the whole shooting match gets thrown anyway because the tyre is not removable from the rim. The "semi-pneumatic" comment threw me because that type of tyre has no air in it at all. I was also thinking of foam-filled.
Me To Nige. I thought all this time they were foam filled.
McLaren Industries and maybe others market those tires with the holes in them as "Semi Pneumatic", at least in the US especially in skid steer circles. I guess that bit of atmosphere in the holes counts as Pneumatics . . . lol. The marketed implication is that they are a hybrid that works better than solids. I had a set of tires exactly like the ones in Nige's picture, and I can tell you they don't have Semi anything, they are hard as a rock
I had foam filled on the front of my TLB. When they wore out it was no problem to change them. I used a saws-all to cut across the tire twice, 180 degrees apart. Then cut the sidewalls, leaving 2-4" above the rim. This allowed me to pry off the two half circle tire casings. Then I recut the foam down to the steel rim and the half donuts fell off. The tire shop had no problem removing the beads with their tire machine. 'Prolly less than 15 minutes each.
Sorry if my terminology was confusing. I appreciate all of your feedback which has been very informative and I have the information I need to proceed with my tire replacement. Now I've got to locate some reasonably priced replacement wheels. Any advice on locating used backhoe parts? Anybody had any experience with heavy equipment salvage yards in the Oregon/Washington area or the Colorado/New Mexico area?
Farmland Tractor in Eugene ,OR. I have bought parts from them several times. Good people to deal with. They have a huge salvage yard. LINK
Thanks--I didn't see anything on their web site but I will give them a call.
Is this two wheel drive or four wheel drive? two wheel drive you can use nearly any 8 bolt ag rim and tire that clears the kingpin and steering linkage. four wheel drive you have to use the tire size in the manual, but it might still be the standard 8 bolt pattern for ag.
It's four wheel drive. I had that exact same thought and I've done a ton of google searches trying to nail that down but the only thing I know for sure is that the JD part number for the front wheels (AT314907) was used on 310J, 310K and 310L backhoes and 210K, 210LE and 210LJ loaders.
Is it 8 bolt? 8" diameter bolt circle and 6" pilot hole? Then you just have to find the correct diameter, or a tire that has a close diameter to what you're supposed to have, and make sure the offset will fit.
The tractor serial number is necessary for an accurate search result. But, if the OP's tractor was purchased new with those "semi-pneumatic tires" he may need to get creative and get a serial number of tractor that was sold with plain ole tubeless tires. IMHO of course.