Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Front Tires for 580B – Something with better grip maybe

Brian C ยท 2019-11-25 01:17

The tires I have on my 580B currently on the front are pretty darn worn out I will admit, but even when new I doubt they would have aided the turning much more than they do now. Its often tough to turn on anything other than very solid ground. I just push a wave of ground/mud, sometimes even when only turning slightly and it's really difficult to turn pretty often. I can't imagine what it would be like in spring. I'd just plain get stuck more than likely and then a swear fest and a bugger of a day would ensue. Anyway, I was curious if there are other tires I could equip to the front that would allow for better steering on ground that isn't totally firm? Generally I see all the 2wd machines with the same looking tires on. I wondered if the ones that have a tread pattern like the rear, the ones normally equipped to the front of actual 4wd machines would help any for turning? Or I've seen the ones that look more like garden tractor tires, like you usually see on more compact utility, turf tires I think, the ones that look like riding lawn mower tires basically. Basically just looking to help it turn a little better if possible but if it doesn't really do much then I guess there's no reason to buy new ones and switch.

Replies4
  1. #1highwayghost2019-11-25 06:11

    I'm assuming first that you have checked the differential lock and confirmed it is releasing properly. While a better tread would likely aid in your turning, it is more likely a weight distribution issue. Not enough weight on the front. Test by traveling with the boom swung all the way to one side and/or a half full loader bucket. This will put more weight up front. For a more permanent solution, Get new tires of your choice and have them filled with fluid. Some machines have front counter weights. By filling the tires, the weight is not carried on the axle. Buy the heaviest tires you can afford. You'll thank yourself later!

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-11-25 07:46

    Brakes function ok ? When turning the tractor do the individual brakes help it to turn ? Or does the engine labor harder ? If it does that, then the differential lock is engaged. You shouldn't have a problem turning if the front counterweight is in place and the diff. is unlocked.

  3. #3aighead2019-11-25 16:10

    I rarely remember about brake turning. My brakes have stayed locked together for my whole ownership... Not to hijack the thread but what are good examples of using brake turning am I missing a secret or is it as simple as it seems it should be?

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2019-11-25 16:51

    Using brakes to turn by applying one brake and turning in that direction for tight turns, also good for turning while backing up in close quarters. Not recommended while driving machine down the road.